• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

hi from new zealand. curious questions.

Barrel Char Wood Products

kiwi-norseman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2013
Hey all this is my first post and first time making mead.
My reciepe.
5.8 litrs of spring water.
1.5kg of nz honey. 100 % pure but not raw.
Approx 2 and half tsp of active dry yeast.
Approx 25 to 30 raisins for nutrient.
30 gallon plastic sanitised brewing bucket.

Well it was 26th this month i put it down. Took about 24 hours to start up bubbling in the airlock. Its still going to this day but has not sped up at all its bubbling probably once every.minute. getting a bit concerned. I have not taken hydrometre reading and not sure if i plan to my first run. Its still cloudy.

Just wondering when i can tell its time to change from primary to secondary. When i change since the opening is so massive i cant fit a syphon. I have touse the drain tap at the bottom. How do i go about this? Thanks all.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well it'd be normal to just wait for it too stop. The raisins will help with nutrient yet I suspect it will still be slow as there's not much nutrient value in that small amount.......

Plus it'll likely be very sweet......your basic method is like JAO but no orange or spices, and JAO comes out sweet even taking into account the balancing of the bitterness that comes from the pith etc.

As for using a tap ? research racking canes and manual siphoning. Only an asthmatic on deaths door is likely to not be able to suck the tube to start siphoning.......

kiwi-norseman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2013
Wat else can i use as nutrient... bearing in mind we dont have anything in the way of brewing shops

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
You can use bee pollen, dried fruit, fresh fruit or juice, brewer's yeast (or old lees), balanced yeast nutrients by mail order (even from Australia), ammonium sulfate, or free amino acids (from health food store). Amounts needed will vary, and a little searching of the site will give many answers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kiwi-norseman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2013
Well i opend up the airlock and threw in another 10 or so raisins. And a stir. gave it a whiff and boy did it water the eyes. Hope fermentation speeds up. Ill be relocating the must and filtering it to new bottles next friday for ageing

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns