• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sulfites?

Barrel Char Wood Products

jgoehring

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2013
Lincoln,Ne
Potassium or Sodium? As I understand it both pretty much do the same thing with the exception of Sodium releasing more SO 2 gasses. I currently do not have a means to take a Free SO 2 reading. So would it be safer just to stick with the Potassium?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Potassium or Sodium? As I understand it both pretty much do the same thing with the exception of Sodium releasing more SO 2 gasses. I currently do not have a means to take a Free SO 2 reading. So would it be safer just to stick with the Potassium?
Well as far as I can work out, it's mostly a regional thing, though why that should be is beyond what I can find out.

Generally, it seems that in the US/Canada area, it's Kmeta that's available easily. Here, it's Nameta, and while I can track down Kmeta, it's generally about 4 times the price.

That said, being where I'm located, there is a good proportion of the UK wine industry located around this area, is it would appear that the local wineries use Kmeta too, but they will source it from the commercial winery supply places.

There's another point too, that if you over do it with Nameta, you can end up with a metallic, almost salty kind of taste, whereas this is much less of an issue with the Kmeta.

So with that in mind, just stick with using the (most likely) more easily available Kmeta you can get.

Doesn't matter whether it's in the form of Campden tablets or as Kmeta powder.......

jgoehring

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2013
Lincoln,Ne
Thanks for the info. I am trying to back sweeten Joe's grape pyment a little bit. The gravity has not changed. I just wanted to be sure when adding the buckwheat which I left out of the original recipe.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Thanks for the info. I am trying to back sweeten Joe's grape pyment a little bit. The gravity has not changed. I just wanted to be sure when adding the buckwheat which I left out of the original recipe.
If its the recipe made with EC-1118 then make sure you sulphite it and then follow that with sorbate......unless its your intention to allow for re fermentation.

jgoehring

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2013
Lincoln,Ne
That was the plan. I definitely do not want a restarted fermentation. This batch went really dry. I know it will get better with age and it has already after a month. But it could use some more honey characteristics. The 1118 ate right through the sugars real quick. I don't know if this is normal. It only took 9 days in the primary.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
EC-1118 is a pretty robust yeast and it's not uncommon for it to tear through a fermentation in a week or less... some folks feel it blows half the flavour out the airlock (I haven't specifically noted this myself) but don't forget, the honey flavour often makes a comeback at around 6-12 months of age.

jgoehring

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 19, 2013
Lincoln,Ne
Thanks for the advice everybody. Right now I am very happy with the way this has turned out. After a few short months the batch is already very drinkable and I cant wait to see how it ages. I did bottle one gallon just to get the practice and I have another gallon batch of the same pyment bulk ageing just to see the difference down the road. The experience with the 1118 taught me a lot. Including how to fashion an on the fly blow off tube.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns