• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Rack early or leave on the lees?

Barrel Char Wood Products

thisisntjoew

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 28, 2013
Republic of Moldova
I have a problem and I want to get some opinions on what to do. I am going on vacation and either have to leave my mead on the lees in the primary for an extra 24 days or rack early.

The S.G. is now at 1.010 (and will have one more day to ferment as I receive answers) and started at 1.086 about 18 days ago. I am using an EC 1118 yeast and have about 2.2 lbs honey per gallon (6 gallon batch).
I did SNA and introduced oxygen by mixing heavily until 50% sugar depletion. I have degassed a bit after 50% sugar depletion.
The mead is extremely cloudy and is still fermenting away.

Please let me know what you think. I am leaning toward racking but will that hurt my fermentation?

Thanks in advance!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns