• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

when will my mead stop?

Barrel Char Wood Products

kiwi-norseman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2013
its been fermenting over two weeks now. currently in the secondary carboy. no clearing as of yet but its still slightly bubbling. lots of sediment.

psychopomp23

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
its been fermenting over two weeks now. currently in the secondary carboy. no clearing as of yet but its still slightly bubbling. lots of sediment.

It'll stop when it's ready to stop :) Keep taking your gravity reading and depending on your SG if it's getting close to 1.000 then it might end soon. Fermentation can be slow or quick depending on your yeast and how well it's feed, etc.

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
It'll stop when it's ready to stop :) Keep taking your gravity reading and depending on your SG if it's getting close to 1.000 then it might end soon. Fermentation can be slow or quick depending on your yeast and how well it's feed, etc.

Pretty much sums it up here. A good portion of fermentation speed in regards to mead making is your SNA or staggered nutrient addition. It sounds complicated; but it's a pretty simple concept.

As opposed to adding all of your nutrient up front; you break it up over two, three, or even more additions. This keeps the yeast well fed throughout their need of it, rather than having a ton of food and having it taken away all of the sudden, or having it added once its gotten used to not having food.

Think of it as eating three meals a day as opposed to one big one at breakfast.

psychopomp23

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2012
Gatineau, Quebec, Canada
If you want to stagger 1 tsp of nutrient 6 times over a one gallon batch, be my guest (all my batches are 1 gallon, or split across 1 gallon carboys).

Edit: I'm not even sure what 1/6 of a tsp would look like.

I'm not even sure they make them...It's just that everytime that someone mentions breakfast i always have that scene of LOTR where Merry and Pippin talks about Strider (aragorn) maybe not knowing about the other hobbit meals

kiwi-norseman

NewBee
Registered Member
May 1, 2013
Hey guys thank you for your input. It is my first batch and had no idea about the gravity/hydrometer prior to about a week ago so wont be touching that atm. So really tis an experiment atm to correct everything next time which I will be using a hydrometer.

It tastes OOOOOOOOOOOK. its kinda got a faint fizz too it which I do not want sparkling. Hope the taste gets better over age.

My recipe as follows

1.5kg honey
5.7 litres water
2 1/2 tsp of active yeast
20 raisins for nutrient

in a 30 litre brewing bucket with airlock etc.

also another 20 raisins were added around a week in primary. And then added another 500gs of honey due to the dry taste.

Shifted to a gallon carboy with airlock atm for secondary. The honey I used was kintail bush honey(delicious honey nice and golden) but the must itself is more of yellow colour. hope it turns golden.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
The only way you can be sure your mead is completely finished is to follow the gravity with a hydrometer and see that it remains stable over a period of time (weeks or months in some cases).

It will look darker and more golden in color as it clears.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns