• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Question on JAO with Pic

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
A51ED520-B293-4E0C-AD86-B654DC2D7438-9134-000013873F1F9650_zps99e182c8.jpg

This is about 6 hours after pitching the yeast, I expected a lot more activity. I disolved the honey in Luke warm water, added that to carboy and topped it off with cold water. The sides of the carboy felt slightly warm when I added the bread yeast. Did I leave too much head space? It seems I can screw up even this recipe :(

Yo momma

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 14, 2007
Flint, Michigan
When I first started to make mead a wise man said "have a mead and relax". With that being said, your mead looks great. Perfect headspace, you want to have more than enough rather then not enough, trust me.

smertz001

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Nov 13, 2012
Houston, TX
smertz.net
That looks just fine. As JAO is known for being aggressive in it's bubbling. You should be okay and not have it hit the air lock and have a MEA (Mead Explosion Accident)

So, sit back and enjoy the waiting. (=

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I guess from reading the recipe I just expected more aggressive activity. Just had it I mind when I when woke up I would see some serious action.

maxmurder

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2012
Bethlehem, Pa.
According to the directions, you can fill it to the neck with water after a few days of fermentation. That's what I did with mine.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Kinda a preemptive question. This is a 5g batch and I used 18lbs of honey. The bread yeast kind peters out quickly. If for some reason this mead is too sweet for my liking. Is it recommended to re ferment it? Is that even possible?

Calehedron

NewBee
Registered Member
May 24, 2013
San Tan Valley, AZ
Mine was about the level of yours for the first 3 days then I topped up to the turn. After about an hour it erupted out the airlock for about 6 hours. Left it there for a few more days and then added more water to just below necking up. It flared a bit for just for a few minutes and its held a fine white head ever since.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
That can happen. You can either give it a good stir or leave it, as the yeast decrease the amount of honey in the top liquid, more honey will dissolve until it's all been eaten anyway.

If you find it's too sweet, it's probably better to make another drier batch (less honey) and blend them later, rather than trying to get another yeast to finish the job without going too far (JAO is gross when it's too dry, the sweetness is balanced by the acidity and bitterness from the orange peel).

Calehedron

NewBee
Registered Member
May 24, 2013
San Tan Valley, AZ
Referencing my post above, when I topped up to the curve after 4 days it erupted out of the airlock for 6 or so hours. After that it calmed down and then I added a bit more to just below the neck at 11 days and it erupted slightly for 20 minutes or so and its been fine ever since. I'm thinking about making a blow off tube airlock with a 2-liter soda bottle to contain any eruptions after topping off.

Coming up on 3 weeks for mine now, bubbling has slowed down to once every 7 seconds and not as much activity in the must. Its already at 1.020 and still going so I will most likely have to add a bit more honey when I rack it off to age. It doesn't taste bad, just the pith slightly overpowering everything but I can taste the honey and the cloves/cinnamon numb the tongue and cheeks slightly. Warms on the way down and at the bottom.

Keep it up and be patient and we shall have an internet toast in a few months.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
So I finally topped of the carboy with water again. The top 1/3 is a lighter consistancy. Short of stirring, how would I mix the top 1/3 with the rest below? Really didn't want to bother the sediment at the bottom.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Now I know the recipe says top off carboy after 3-4 days. But this hasn't let up feementing at all still goin strong. Do I dare?
As you see by my sig line, this is the hardest part for me. But I force myself to add only half as much as I think I can get away with, and only half as often as I want to. I haven't had an MEA since. <fingers crossed, knocking wood, throwing salt over shoulder and spitting three times on the ground>

Hang in there,

Joe

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns