• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

More bee losses...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Just saw this one come by on my facebook feed... an Ontario beekeeper has lost 600 hives, 37 million bees ... "The loss comes after the planting of corn. Neonicotinoid pesticides are used to coat corn seed with air seeders. This results in having the pesticide dust blown into the air when planted."

Telkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2013
British Columbia
Unreal. How much evidence does even a simpleton need in order to see how detrimental the effects of GMO's are, not only for the human populous, but for the animal kingdom in general!

Awful.

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
GMO has absolutely nothing to do with neonicitinoids. Both can be a problem. The neonicitinoids are orders of magnitude worse in this beekeepers opinion. Most of the fears surrounding GMO are way overblown.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Vance, I tend to agree with you... if a genetically modified organism prevents the need for pesticides in the first place, isn't it a step forward as long as we don't end up with Blinky the Three Eyed Fish?

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
Chevette Girl, Blinky would make for a 50% reduction in waste when it comes to making fisheye soup, I'll have you know. :)

One potential problem with GMOs that reduce pesticide use is that the food plant itself will probably end up producing its own pesticide, and this could just as potentially harm bees. Or have other unknown consequences. Over the course of a few generations I'm sure we could weed out harmful GMOs, or at least get rid of the ones that cause the most obvious harms, but I for one don't really feel like being part of that experiment. Not that I really have a choice, of course.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
So, my welder friend whose honey I'm currently turning into mead? His hives all died this year...

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
These are rich mans problems. Only the rich with well fed children and income for the collective to confiscate---or those hooked up to feed on the confiscations have time for such. Things are much better now environmentally than any time in my early elderly existence. When is the last time the Cuyahoaga river caught fire?

A Reading of History by Leonard Nathan

The good guys lost the city first;
The bad guys should never have won that battle,
but did and turned the good guys out to starve
or butchered them as they had butchered cattle.

The bad guys lost the city next;
The worse guys swarmed the walls from land and sea
til heroes of evil parcelled out the widows.
O then how good those bad guys seemed to be!

The worse guys lost the city next;
Shaggy brutes slashed in from west and east
To drag them from their temples by the hair,
For worse guys were too gentle for this beast.

Yet who but this best assembled later,
Three to a corner, stricken by whispered fact
That powers of darkness hover off the coast
And nothing could prevent their being sacked.

The future plainly belongs to evil;
To good, the past; and for the present—well,
Good guys and bad guys mingle in the market;
Business was never better. Time will tell.

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Not Sure if this petition is of any interest?

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/usa_save_the_bees/

We call on you to immediately support the Save America's Pollinators Act. Bees are dying off in the millions, and we rely on them for 1/3rd of all our food. If you act urgently with precaution now to protect them from bee-toxic neonicotinoid pesticides, we could save bees from extinction.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
One more sig on that petition... No bees=no honey.

All I can think of is Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson eating 500 dollar strawberries.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
One more sig on that petition... No bees=no honey.

All I can think of is Charlton Heston and Edward G. Robinson eating 500 dollar strawberries.
Heh heh, I saw a comedian on television the other day who was talking about the high cost of 'organic' foods...

"Six dollars for a half pint of strawberries? For six bucks you'd better show me a picture of these strawberries being picked by WHITE guys! I wanna see Mitt Romney bending over to get 'em!"

Chuckling again at the thought... AND the mental picture.

Joe

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Off topic post #2:

Those illustrations in the video are pretty accurate. For actual images, Bjørn Rørslett has extensively photographed flowers in UV and has the largest collection that I am aware of.

Arnica flower: here.
Lowly dandelion flower: here.
Catalog here.

The rest of Rørslett 's site is worthy of investigation if you are interested in photography that is off the beaten path.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns