• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

HELP - Temps to 100F during primary fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Hi all. This is in reference to the mead currently underway here.

This week was a rough and busy one at work, and frankly I didn't remember to submerge my carboy in iced water during the week, I only did it today. The specifics:
- several days this week (at least 4) with temps over 95F, and at least one day over 100F. The must was not cooled during this week.
- as of this writing the batch is 20 days old
- using K1V (tolerance to 95F)
- mead in primary fermentation
- 3/4 tsp Fermaid K has been added step wise
- 3 gallons total, 12 pounds honey added step wise
- no significant lees are visible at this point.

So, the questions of the day are
How much damage will the heat have done to the batch?
Aside from cooling the carboy with ice water, are there other steps to take to save this batch?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I think K1V is probably the best yeast selection you could have made for this kind of abuse :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you smell something suspicious. You may need to age it a little longer if it made a bunch of fusel alcohols, but you might be OK. I used to do all my primaries in my very hot kitchen all summer and I don't think I had a batch actually spoil from it.

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
I think K1V is probably the best yeast selection you could have made for this kind of abuse :)

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you smell something suspicious. You may need to age it a little longer if it made a bunch of fusel alcohols, but you might be OK. I used to do all my primaries in my very hot kitchen all summer and I don't think I had a batch actually spoil from it.

Well, K1V was the yeast of choice for certain members of this forum who advised me. I knew it could get hot, and this is the yeast they suggested. And, while it didn't get as hot as say, Texas might have, it did get pretty roasty.

I have a ball valve on it (from better bottle) so I can smell the offgassing if I jostle the carboy. Nothing bad smelling that I can determine. In fact, smells pleasant. If it starts to turn ugly what's the typical kind of smell that I could expect? Burning rubber or butter? Something else?

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
We had very high temperatures at the end of primary fermentation on our first batch of mead last year; a dry Orange Blossom Traditional. It is coming along fine, although the taste was "hot" for a long time due to the fusel alcohols. It is coming up on it's first birthday and I may open a bottle this weekend to see how it is doing. I still have 3 of the 5 gallons bulk aging.

We are fortunate to have a spare refrigerator in the garage, so I bought a temperature controller and for the next two mead have carefully controlled the temperature during fermentation. I believe that the second traditional will be ready to drink earlier with the temperature control. It is not as "hot" as the first one was.

Dan

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Usual off smells include vomit, rubber and rotten egg... although I'm sure there are others and I'm not certain these will result from high temperatures, it's usually the "hot" taste you get, as danr described...

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Put a bit of thought into this since first reading it yesterday.......

While we know that yeasts like D47 do indeed, produce fusels if fermented too warm, I don't actually recall much if anything about K1V and its likely/possible characteristics in such a relatively extreme ferment as this one seems to have turned out to be with a honey must.

I believe that there have been some who've gone the other way and kept low, as I recall reading that it produces a lot of esters at low temps (baring in mind that it has one of, if not the, widest temperature ranges of wine yeast.......

Montpellier is at the southern part of the Languedoc after all, where it does regularly get hot, plus I believe a lot of the wines of the region are reds, notwithstanding that many reds can get a warm spurt in their making into the lower 30's C.

Hence I don't think, given the limited amount of data/info that we can take it as given that it will always produce fusels if they are actually fusels and not just a character of K1V where it gives, seemingly, that alcohol hot taste that we're familiar with from honey musts.

Perhaps a deeper dig into Languedoc wines or someone with a good palate might be more precise. Because its thought that its best to avoid fusels if possible........some do/will mellow with time, others not.

After all, if you look around the web and read stuff from distilling info, they can remove them with careful management, we in the wines and meads world don't have that option.......

Whether the temp spikes the OP batch will prove injurious to it remains to be seen........

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Hell if you're that concerned with it you could always give it an ice bath. Put your carboy into a larger bucket of ice water. I bought a large laundry basket like bucket at Walmart for $4 which came in pretty handy for more than one situation. Add a few layers of ice every few hours until your fermentation is done. Watch the temp to make sure you don't get it too cold. Buy a large 20lb bag or what ever your freezer can hold and that should get you through the fermentation.

Im an idiot... didnt see the original posting.

Last edited:

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Hell if you're that concerned with it you could always give it an ice bath. Put your carboy into a larger bucket of ice water. I bought a large laundry basket like bucket at Walmart for $4 which came in pretty handy for more than one situation. ...

Yep, did that yesterday. Since putting it in the bath, fermentation has slowed some, and not so much fizzing on top.

Today's temp is much more mild, around 85-89. Hopefully the hot spell is over.

Fatbloke -- yes, indeed, unless I start to smell something off, I probably won't know if I made jet fuel until its done.

Should have put it in a bath from the start.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Yep, did that yesterday. Since putting it in the bath, fermentation has slowed some, and not so much fizzing on top.

Today's temp is much more mild, around 85-89. Hopefully the hot spell is over.

Fatbloke -- yes, indeed, unless I start to smell something off, I probably won't know if I made jet fuel until its done.

Should have put it in a bath from the start.
The evaporative cooling method of a bath /large bowl of water, a damp towel wrapped round the fermenter but so it also touches the water in the bowl/bath, then point a fan at it ?

I understand that method should help keep the temps down while it's finishing ........

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
You are undoubtedly going to have produced a lot of fusel alcohols and it will be very surprising if it doesn't taste very "hot". Be on the lookout for medicinal, Band-aid aroma/flavor that may develop during the first 6 months. That has been the most common fault I've seen with high temp batches. Give it a year or two to age out and it may just become something nice. Plan for the long haul.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
You are undoubtedly going to have produced a lot of fusel alcohols and it will be very surprising if it doesn't taste very "hot". Be on the lookout for medicinal, Band-aid aroma/flavor that may develop during the first 6 months. That has been the most common fault I've seen with high temp batches. Give it a year or two to age out and it may just become something nice. Plan for the long haul.

Hm. You give a much more grim outlook than the others. In a couple of months, I will see what transpires... I can only hope it isn't too bad.

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Well, the temps have reduced to below K1V's 95F upper bound over the last few days. Taking a whiff of the must, I still don't detect any off odors ... yet, at any rate. Time will tell.

I am keeping it in a water bucket, changing ice bottles every morning and evening. No fans or wet towels.

Jim H

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2013
NYC
Hypothetical question here: IF this batch that had hit a week of high temps were to start smelling bad, how long after the high-temp exposure would the bad smells become apparent? A few days? A few weeks? Until I rack it to secondary? Not until after bottling?

I ask because I do not smell or taste anything funny or bad in the batch yet, and I am wondering if I dodged a bullet, or if it is too soon to tell.

I cooled it off about 11 days ago, and about a week ago temps cooled down enough so that I removed the batch from the bath.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns