• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JAOM final gravity?

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I never took an initial, but can someone tell me more or less what the final gravity of a JOAM should be when the recipe is followed to the letter?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Mine usually start around 1.125 and finish around 1.025, although I've had a few that finished a bit higher than that.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Thanks, I doubt it's finished at this point, but it IS clearing and the activity has diminished a lot. The fruit is still floating but I figure when my thief arrives this week I'll take a measurement. I'm a little worried that if it ended this quickly I will have off flavors. the only thing I am not able to adhere to at the moment is temperature and it has been in my dining room which gets to highs of 75-78 on any given day.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Thanks, I doubt it's finished at this point, but it IS clearing and the activity has diminished a lot. The fruit is still floating but I figure when my thief arrives this week I'll take a measurement. I'm a little worried that if it ended this quickly I will have off flavors. the only thing I am not able to adhere to at the moment is temperature and it has been in my dining room which gets to highs of 75-78 on any given day.
Then you should be fine. If I remember correctly, bread yeast in jAOM does best at between 70 and 80.

Trust in the Yeast. For ye shall know the ways of fermentation and the truth shall set you free! <grin>

Sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to. Hang in there. The only ingredient needed now is time.

Joe

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Then you should be fine. If I remember correctly, bread yeast in jAOM does best at between 70 and 80.

Trust in the Yeast. For ye shall know the ways of fermentation and the truth shall set you free! <grin>

Sounds like you're doing everything you're supposed to. Hang in there. The only ingredient needed now is time.

Joe

Wine thief arrived in the mail. Time to get a reading!

Went to get a reading, but it's just too much mead to take out...

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Bloody rubbish. If the equipment is all sanitised then take the reading and then put it back into the main body.......

It's not bloody beer, where you might have to be a bit anal.........:mad:

hee hee... after tasting it, there's NO way any of it is going back in! But you're right... I will go down right now and get a proper reading....check out my "Holy JAOM" post!

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
IMHO. The original recipe 'to the book' will finish at 1040-1050. I don't like it that high so shoot for 1015-1025 much like CG.
It's JAO. Wait until it stops and drink it.
If you like it: bonus!
Take a gravity reading then for future reference, however don't use gravity to know where it will finish, especially if you didn't take an initial gravity.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Yeah.
Long story short, my nick translates literally from Indonesian as "Sickly Pale Horse"
"And lo I saw a pale horse, upon him sat death and all of hell followed with him"
The handle was acquired in the early days of the net when 'hell's Angel' 'Angel of Death' and other dark terms were fashionable.
I chose the more obscure 'Pale Horse' literally representing 'bringer of death' which was later translated by friends online when i was practisjng my Indo; into the unique, less garish and (I think) cool sounding handle I now use.

(Yes, that was the short version.)

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
The signature merely says:
"The pale horse rides again"
It's a sig I adopted when I renewed activity on various forums. (I translated here into something more meadly - as my lineage hails from there abouts)

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
Sickly pale horse translates to "ceffyl golau afiach" in welsh. What a diverse and interesting bunch of people in this forum! Long may it continue.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Nice! Thanks for that. I've often thought of putting up a Basque sig for the meady connections (what with it being old and all) but despite being ethnically Basque I can't speak a word of it.

To the Internet!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns