• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Has anyone else out there had this happen?

Barrel Char Wood Products

YogiBearMead726

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Francisco, CA
It seems at least 50% of the time, when I tell someone that "I make mead", they hear, "I make meat." And when they then ask how that works, I watch the confusion grow as I describe yeast fermenting honey, aging for years...

Honestly, is mead that foreign that people confuse it with the word "meat"? Or do I just need to learn to speak clearly?

Marshmallow Blue

NewBee
Registered Member
It seems at least 50% of the time, when I tell someone that "I make mead", they hear, "I make meat." And when they then ask how that works, I watch the confusion grow as I describe yeast fermenting honey, aging for years...

Honestly, is mead that foreign that people confuse it with the word "meat"? Or do I just need to learn to speak clearly?

Nope, it happens top us all. What kind of meat do you make? *puzzled faces.

Now I just tell people I make honeywine so I don't have to talk like a kindergarten teacher. MMEEEAAAADDDDDDDDDD with a DDDDDD sound

MitchSmit

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 4, 2013
It's going to keep happening to you. You are better off just stating you make wine, or even better, honey wine.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I once made someone guess what kind of wine I was making.

I mentioned that I had a 'jug of special wine' fermenting as we spoke, and they said "grape?". "No", I answered, "guess again".

"Apricot? Elderberry, cherry, plum, apple, strawberry..." and on and on until they got to "Tomato? Dandelion? Friggin' cabbage?? WHAT? Is it even a fruit?"

"No, and its not a vegetable either".

They went insane as I smiled (chicken and egg kind of thing<grin>), until finally they looked in horror and said, "are you making it out of some kind of MEAT??"

Heh heh, Klingon Blood Wine. THAT'S what I should have told them!

Joe

stagnant waters

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 23, 2013
Chicago, IL
Well, scientists in England just produced 5 oz of lab cultured beef and had a taste testing over the weekend. You could try making meat. The only downside is that the cultured meat would cost about $30.00 per pound- making it almost as expensive as mead...

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
I get this all the time. Once I see the confusion, I say "Honeywine. Spelled M-E-A-D." They then ask me how to make it or seem more interested. Meat and Mead are similar sounding and most of the time when I tell some one that I brew Mead there is a lot of background noise. So "Honeywine" like wine but made with honey instead of grapes. Seems to get their attention. Some ask me if it's sweet or go "I don't like very sweet drinks." I then tell them like wine it has various sweetness levels and you can brew a very dry mead that tastes great and that it's more flexible in it's varying flavors than beer or wine. Some people you can't please but there's a mead out there for everyone. No matter your tastes.

Matrix

Reactions: Marshmallow Blue

BBBF

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 19, 2008
Chicago, Land of Corruption

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
I'm with Joe, when people/family ask about it I just say I brew wine, since in essence that's exactly what it is and saves a whole bunch of confusion unless they express further interest, then I go from there.

Tony

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Being primarily a winemaker, I don't run into this often, but when I do, to allay confusion I usually answer with something like, "Mead. you know, honey wine."

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I once made someone guess what kind of wine I was making.

I mentioned that I had a 'jug of special wine' fermenting as we spoke, and they said "grape?". "No", I answered, "guess again".

"Apricot? Elderberry, cherry, plum, apple, strawberry..." and on and on until they got to "Tomato? Dandelion? Friggin' cabbage?? WHAT? Is it even a fruit?"

"No, and its not a vegetable either".

They went insane as I smiled (chicken and egg kind of thing<grin>), until finally they looked in horror and said, "are you making it out of some kind of MEAT??"

Heh heh, Klingon Blood Wine. THAT'S what I should have told them!

Joe

Elderberry? Someone guessed Elderberry? Were you screening Monty Python and the Holy Grail?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Even at my local pub, I told the bartender, who is from England, that I was making mead and he understood "meat". Then he didn't know what mead was. I forgave him because he's like 30. But I almost revoked his Dr. Who geek status.

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
Being primarily a winemaker, I don't run into this often, but when I do, to allay confusion I usually answer with something like, "Mead. you know, honey wine."

Reminded me of this quote:
"You must remember that these are simple, salt of the earth type of people.......You know, Morons."

Ok, I may have misquoted it a bit. But just the way you phrased that made me think of it.

Matrix

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Reminded me of this quote:
"You must remember that these are simple, salt of the earth type of people.......You know, Morons."

Ok, I may have misquoted it a bit. But just the way you phrased that made me think of it.

Matrix

Bwahaahaahaa!! You know, some days, I do have to use only small words...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns