• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

too late to add nutrient/energizer?

Barrel Char Wood Products

penguin5b

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 14, 2013
Harrisburg, PA
I made a 3 gallon batch with 12 lbs of honey about 2 weeks ago. I noticed early on that the bubbling was rather slow and subdued compared too past batches I've made. Today I was inventorying my supplies when I came across my yeast nutrient and energizer. It suddenly hit me that I had forgotten to add it while making the batch. In a panic, I added both to the bucket and stirred gently. It foamed immediately and a replaced the lid.

So,
A. Is jt too late for nutrient to do any good?
B. Did I just ruin my batch by adding it so late?

Thanks to all.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I made a 3 gallon batch with 12 lbs of honey about 2 weeks ago. I noticed early on that the bubbling was rather slow and subdued compared too past batches I've made. Today I was inventorying my supplies when I came across my yeast nutrient and energizer. It suddenly hit me that I had forgotten to add it while making the batch. In a panic, I added both to the bucket and stirred gently. It foamed immediately and a replaced the lid.

So,
A. Is jt too late for nutrient to do any good?
B. Did I just ruin my batch by adding it so late?

Thanks to all.
A, dunno, B, no probably not.

With nutrients etc, especially inorganic nitrogen like DAP and FermaidK, it's thought that it's only taken up properly by the yeast in about the first 1/3rd of the fermentation, while if it's organic nitrogen like from FermaidO, boiled bread yeast, yeast hulls/ghosts, etc, then it's taken up through much more of the fermentation period.

There's probably some sciencey research stuff around that explains it exactly as to why that is....

Which is generally why, if fermentation is being a pain and needs "management" of some sort, that we seem to recommend FermaidO, boiled bread yeast, yeast hulls etc.

If you didn't add any to your brew at all, it may be that it's not 1/3rd of the way through yet. You'd have to have taken start gravity readings and a current one to know that......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns