• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Get your tar and feathers ready!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Mirakk

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 4, 2013
Waukesha, WI
Got a stupid question, but one I could never find the answer to.

I see a lot of sites and sources say never to put a hydrometer sample back into your must.

If you sanitized your tools properly before taking the reading, what's the big deal? You're putting must back where you got it, and it should be unchanged as far as I can tell?

FIRE AWAY

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I stick my sanitized hydrometer into my sanitized wine thief, suck up enough must to get a reading, then let it all back out into the carboy. If you're at all good about sanitation, you should be fine.

Midnight Sun

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 13, 2010
Anchorage, Alaska
Like CG, I always return the sample to the must. Between the alcohol levels and vigorous fermentation with hardy wine yeasts, the chance of infection or contamination from a returned sample is small so long as your tools were sanitized.

Most of the folks advising not to return the sample are probably coming from a beer brewing background. Beer is far more easily infected than mead. If I were to take measurements during fermentation I would not return that sample to the wort. During beer ferments, I see no reason to monitor the progress like with mead, so I don't bother with samples except in extraordinary cases.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Concur......

Sanitised kit etc, and most of it goes back in, save for maybe 10 mls to taste so I understand the progression of flavour change through the ferment process and/or decide what I need to do or change for finishing it prior to bulk storage.....

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Half the time I just stir the bucket to degas and drop the hydrometer right in.

I do this with larger batches sometimes, but anything less than 3 gallons bottoms out if it's done in my buckets... and fruit bags get in the way. Wine thief, wonderful invention.

ambloplites

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2012
Boise, ID
I believe a lot of the hoopla does come from a beer brewing perspective ... but it's also a good chemistry practice (and brewers are basically chemists) ... you try not to remove more than you think you need, and you never return anything back to it's original container because of the potential for any kind of contamination ... but, as in many things, we're talking purists vs. realists. I sometimes put the "test" sample back into the original must ... but mostly I just drink it!

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
I believe a lot of the hoopla does come from a beer brewing perspective ... but it's also a good chemistry practice (and brewers are basically chemists) ... you try not to remove more than you think you need, and you never return anything back to it's original container because of the potential for any kind of contamination ... but, as in many things, we're talking purists vs. realists. I sometimes put the "test" sample back into the original must ... but mostly I just drink it!

Yep. To paraphrase, the chemist sees the carboy as half empty (because he won't return the sample), the pragmatist sees the carboy as half full (because he DOES return some of the samples), but the realist DRINKS IT! <g>

Joe

Matrix4b

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 17, 2008
Denver Colorado
I return the reading sample too. I do pour out about 1/4 shot to taste it from the sample into a shot glass. I figure as long as you keep things sanitary you are fine.

Mead seems a LOT less finiky than beer.

The only reason I can think of for the warnings conserning mead: Oxyidation. The mead will oxidize a little from pouring the sample and pouring it back. But I shouldn't think that it's more than your normal racking. I usually take my readings when I rack. So it's no problem for me.

You know, many people have a lot of misconceptions on brewing mead. People think it's hard and finiky for some reason. Maybe it's because of the beer brewers caution and tales of a bad or skunky beer. I think that these tales are also why many are afraid to home brew. Same thing with the false tales of the "Home brew will make you go blind." myth that comes from more the home distillery going wrong type of stuff. If proper processes are followed as well as sanitation, nobody should have problems that would give creedence to these Myths.

Matrix

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns