• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help! Plastic bottle bomb imminent!

Barrel Char Wood Products

SilentJimbo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Been away for a couple of weeks, and discovered a one gallon PET carboy is swelling considerably. It had been stabilised and then backsweetened - should have kept it under airlock to be safe but instead attacked a screw cap. Any advise on how I can safely defuse it?

SilentJimbo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Nevermind - crisis averted.

I did some cautious probing and determined it wasn't as high pressure as it looked - it had gone from a cuboid to almost a sphere. Managed to release the top without an explosion. I think these must be much softer than soda bottles, so a comparatively low amount of pressure caused a huge distortion.

kuri

NewBee
Registered Member
May 5, 2013
Japan
If future situations develop, if you chill it in a fridge, the pressure will drop allowing things to be opened safely.

And don't shake. After you open it, allow it to warm to ambient temp with an airlock if you want to get as much gas out as possible, then close and refrigerate to prevent a repeat.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Had a 2 litre pop bottle ginger beer explode on me before now.

It only stings a bit if you get hit by the plastic, but you do see a bit of a flash with the energy release.

The biggest issue would be the mess, which is proportional to the batch size and the difficulty of getting bits of ginger out of the fur of 5 very frightened cats.......

SilentJimbo

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 9, 2012
Hampshire, UK
Well, that 'future situation' developed rather sooner than I'd have liked. Five 500ml PET bottles of blueberry hydromel were found to be rather swollen. Carefully transfered them to the freezer for half an hour, before slowly opening then inside a carrier bag over the sink. They had been stabilized and in the bottles, showing no signs of any activity, for over a month - not sure what caused them to start up again. I think the lesson here is to keep things under airlock for much longer after backsweetening.

And to top it off, a braggot I had rather high hopes for appears to acquired some sort of infection - lots of white flecks on the surface, and producing gas despite having been fermented dry.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns