• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

More Clarifier?

Barrel Char Wood Products

HowardVic

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 26, 2010
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Greetings Everybuddy.

I was putting bottles of newly bottled mead in the racks when I noticed that there was a cloud of residue floating in the them and the ones that had been standing upright had a reddish brown residue on the bottom. The residue swirls in a loose cloud of fine particles when bottles are moved but settle on the bottom when standing as if charged like iron filings by a magnet. ???

I back sweetened, clarified with Bentonite, pump filtered, stabilized and bottled a week ago.

I am correct in clarifying again with Bentonite, followed up with Sparkolloid, waiting two weeks and bottle again? I will skip the pump filtering because I read it takes out some of the flavor of the mead.

Later and thanks for your feedback.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Meads are weird. Get them crystal clear etc only to have them continue to drop fine dark sediment.....

How fine was the pump filter media ? As its possible the gauge wasn't small enough.....

And unless you clear a batch etc, then filter it back into a bulk container that you can see through, to check for finer sediment than the filter could manage, before bottling, then this could happen again....

The refiltration is probably the most important stage but you'd only start thinking of losses of pigmentation and aroma particles with about half micron and smaller gauge filtering. Hence it depends how fine it was first time round.....

K5MOW

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2011
Friendswood TX
Some of my Meads over the years has done this also. I don't worry about it. I just let it settle in the bottom of bottle then be carfull not to Poor the sentiment in the glass. What do all of you do about this. I don't think the sentiment will hurt the mead or is this not a good idea.

Roger

HowardVic

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 26, 2010
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Thanks KTMOW and Fatbloke.

Just dropped in to check my emails and remembered my question in gotmead.com and took a peek.

I used the Buon Vino Super Jet filter pump with the #1 and #2 filters.

I will return later in the day with more time to comment.

Thanks again, guys.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Thanks KTMOW and Fatbloke.

Just dropped in to check my emails and remembered my question in gotmead.com and took a peek.

I used the Buon Vino Super Jet filter pump with the #1 and #2 filters.

I will return later in the day with more time to comment.

Thanks again, guys.
Well I'm lucky enough to have both a BV mini jet and an enolmatic with filter. If I was using the mini jet it'd be with the finest pads, with the enolmatic, I'd try with a 1 micron catridge first then failing that a 0.45 micron cartridge, which is fine enough for even yeast cells and bacteria...apparently. so should get any fine pariculates like tannins etc.

I would use anything that fine for reds/fruit batches. That'd be just time, gravity and 2 part finings.....

Shelley

Honey Master
Registered Member
Sep 13, 2013
Harford, NY
MeadMagic.com
Some of my Meads over the years has done this also. I don't worry about it. I just let it settle in the bottom of bottle then be carfull not to Poor the sentiment in the glass. What do all of you do about this. I don't think the sentiment will hurt the mead or is this not a good idea.

Roger

Exactly this. Let it settle, then pour it off carefully, especially if I'm serving for guests. Bottling in beer and grolsh-type bottles make it easy. Since you store them upright to begin with, they're a cinch to pour out clear and chilled. I will confess, though, that I make mead to drink, not for show. :)

I've found that even the cloudy meads taste just fine.

smokepole

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Jan 16, 2013
Hell, Michigan
since the subject of filters came up, and I have filterers(filter users) handy-----

After buying ($200) pump, setting it up
Would I want a bunch of mead ready for filtering? kind of keeping it going?
Or do these filters accept a quick rinse and reuse them next month.
It probably depends (a lot)on my sediment but after a couple rackings how much life is in a filter
. I've got some cherry mel that I've racked 3 times, adding boiled bentonite all 3 times. Its dark, (fine with me) and I can see my led's thru it, top to bottom. Each time has produced about 2 fingers of lees at bottom of carbouy. In the future I'd like at least a lees that settles and compacts better. Willing to take suggestions.

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
After buying ($200) pump, setting it up
Would I want a bunch of mead ready for filtering? kind of keeping it going?
Or do these filters accept a quick rinse and reuse them next month.
It probably depends (a lot)on my sediment but after a couple rackings how much life is in a filter

The Buon Vino mini jet filter pads are single use, and I believe that each (3 pack) is good for approximately 6 gallons. I do not see any reason you could not do multiple smaller batches instead of a single large batch, but you would need to do them all in the same session since the filter pads can not be reused. The Buon Vino pads come in three different grades (1-Course, 2-Polishing and 3-Sterile). You are supposed to start with the Course if you have large particulate and then move on to the polishing pads. YMMV

LINK

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
What Danr said. I've done multiple batches with my buon vino and it works just fine, a 3 gal batch and two or three 1 gal batches, just make sure you go from least flavourful to most, or if they're all around the same flavour intensity, lightest colour to darkest.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns