• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Introducing a new meadery

Barrel Char Wood Products

smoutela

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2012
New Jersey
www.melovino.com
Hello fellow homebrewers! I just wanted to take a quick minute to announce the opening of my meadery, Melovino Meadery. We will be the first official meadery in the state of New Jersey, making it even more exciting of a new venture for me and my family.

This forum and community has always been a great help and resource of mine so I wanted to make sure I'd post up this great announcement here.

We have a Kickstarter campaign that just launched today. Your support would be awesome.

Melovino has some big things planned. This isn't your run of the mill startup out of a garage. We're meadin' strong!

Hoping you can help be a part of it all. If you can also, please share the link to our Kickstarter campaign on FB and Twitter.

Thanks again all!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/melovino/melovino-meadery

Vance G

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 30, 2011
Great Falls Montana
Congratulations on your plan and it is good to dream big. What is your experience meadmaking and what city will you domicile your business in? I would be more inclined to support someone if I had a better feel of what chance they had of succeeding. There are people on this forum whom I would invest in without much hesitation if they were doing a start up---others including myself---not so much. Why don't you talk mead for a while and you will find more friends.

smoutela

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2012
New Jersey
www.melovino.com
Okay, I can be a bit long-winded, but you asked for it buddy ! :)

I was raised in a culture where home making is a part of life, so I born with a "purple foot" you might say. Without getting into much babble about childhood "experience", I'll fast forward to my adult life when I began making wine myself at home, ofcourse with more of a modern approach than old school natural fermentation practices I grew up learning from my elders.

I always enjoyed the idea of making wine to share with others. It was almost expected of me in a way, but to be completely honest with myself, I never had a real passion for it. Kind of like the kid who grows up and is pushed through medical school by his M.D. father...

There wasn't much room for real creativity in traditional grape wine making, at least not for me. Bored me quite a bit.

A few years later, after a ride to go pickup a refractometer off Craigslist, the seller and I got into talking about our own fermented creations and he kept egging me on as to how homebrewing was the shit and that I should join the local homebrew club. Paid a visit to the next meeting, and about 8-10 extract recipes later, I went all grain. A few more batches after, full Blichmann Top Tier system and conicals in my garage...

The idea of such a vast range of styles and variations, and one-off ideas, etc.. just blew my mind and really let my relentness creativity go crazy. Nevermind the fact that most beer styles I was brewing were ready to drink within 4-8 weeks, and that you can basically brew year round... No more waiting until the fall to buy grapes, let the must sit and hurry and wait !

Fast forward a bit more, and there I was scouring the HBT forums through all hours of the night like I did every night. After seeing other post up about mead this and mead that, I finally stopped and asked myself, WTF IS MEAD !?

After some digging around about mead, its history, and how its made, I knew immediately that I had to make this. To me, it provided everything I loved about homebrewing creativity wise, all while allowing me to be in my comfort zone of winemaking that almost seemed pre-destined in a way. It's like that kid who was pushed through med school by his M.D. father landed a gig as a professional sports physician that travels with the team and hooks up with all the cheerleaders! Yeah, that good.

I fell in love immediately with mead. Making it, drinking it, and sometimes even sharing it :)

Before you know it, and even though homebrewing had a nice head start over my mead making, the meads I started entering brought in more medals, and coveted ones at that, than my homebrew. Not that my homebrew sucked at all, I just made ridiculously better mead.

I have some silver and golds from smaller regional homebrew competitions, as well as a gold at the 2013 Mazer Cup, and gold in the first round of this past NHC.

After receiving emails on two separate occasions from mead judge's asking if I was willing to share a recipe of mine, it clicked to me right then and there... I have what it takes to make some great mead. Competitions, medals, and scoresheets aside, I make mead for myself. And what others I shared my meads with thought of it meant more to me than all of the competition mumbo jumbo.

Some may say, yeah you can make mead or beer, but can you run a business!? My response would be, well yeah. I started my own business just over four years ago out of a one bedroom apartment that I have grown by 200% every year. Before that, I spent the previous 5 years basically running other people's businesses. A majority of my existing business actually entails a lot of work with wine imports and transportation. A nice set of credentials to have in this new venture.

Do I have what it takes to run a business, you bet your last lb of tupelo I do.
Do I have what it takes to make great mead that the general public and beer, wine, and mead enthusiasts will love and appreciate ? I believe and have been told by many that yes, I do.

But most importantly, do I have the passion to make a successful living running this meadery day in and day out? Well, I can barely stand sending out more than one text message in any given conversation on my phone, but I've sat here with a laptop burning through my thighs typing out this story of mine so that you can learn a bit (well okay, more than just a bit ;) more about me for you to better gauge whether you believe in me and my new venture.

I've posted a video on my Kickstarter campaign as well if you are interested. I gave a quick little walk through of the meadery so that everyone can see where we're at at the moment. This is a serious move for me. Not playing around the least bit when it comes to the success of this meadery. Planning on selling out of state off our online store shortly after opening as well. Looking to have 5 states setup right away, with more to follow.

Looking forward to being able to open the meadery doors to everyone and of course share a glass (or three) with you all. I hope to have left you with a better idea of my background.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/melovino/melovino-meadery

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
There wasn't much room for real creativity in traditional grape wine making, at least not for me. Bored me quite a bit.

I totally understand, that's how I ended up getting into making fruit wines :) I'd love to start a small fruit winery or a meadery myself but I'm finding my province kinda insists you go big or go home...

Good luck with your meadery, if I ever get a passport, I'll put you on my list of places to visit!

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
We have a Kickstarter campaign that just launched today. Your support would be awesome.

HERE is a nice article about Golden Coast Mead, a local meadery, that was on the front page of the San Diego Union Tribune this week.

Joe, Frank and Praveen obtained their initial funding through Kickstarter (link) and have raised additional funding through Slow Money. My participation in their campaign and correspondence with Joe was one of the things that inspired me to make my first batch of mead.

Good luck with your meadery!

Dan

smoutela

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 30, 2012
New Jersey
www.melovino.com
HERE is a nice article about Golden Coast Mead, a local meadery, that was on the front page of the San Diego Union Tribune this week.

Joe, Frank and Praveen obtained their initial funding through Kickstarter (link) and have raised additional funding through Slow Money. My participation in their campaign and correspondence with Joe was one of the things that inspired me to make my first batch of mead.

Good luck with your meadery!

Dan

Thanks Dan. I did see the KS presentation for Golden Coast. Pretty cool group.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns