• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The collection so far this year

Barrel Char Wood Products

TheGiantGinger

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 17, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
So as I'm desperately trying to save my 10th brew and not throw up at the same time, I've also begun to run out of space to easily store my unlabelled bottles and still have a hope in hell of remembering what they were. So tonight I decided to label everything I could and this is what it looks like:

nn03zb.jpg

What I've done for everything (except the ginger beer), has been to bottle the first 6 of any 5L batch in clear bottles and any thereafter in green and brown bottles of random shapes and sizes. I intend to drink the coloured bottles first and use the clear ones as Christmas gifts or for longer term keeping.

At the moment, I'm missing #2, a raspberry mead and #8, a cyser I've started recently... but that's just because I've still got them in the demijohns... waiting for them to finish or for more spare bottles.

.... and just as I'm looking at this, I've realised I've suggested that my traditional mead will be good to drink before I even bottled it. Oh well... nothing a black pen can't fix.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
If its anything like my one, it seems that the space made after its lifted from the bottle is fine for 750ml bordeaux/burgundy bottles (hold a cork against the side of the bottles at the top and you get an idea of how much space is likely left etc).

Probably using a glass jug i.e. put some in a jug, use the bottling wand for speed mainly, then just top off from the jug.

Or ditch the wand (for beer bottles) and put a plastic tap inline, so you can still get the pipe to the bottom of the bottle but lift it gently as the liquid level rises, closing the tap when the liquid is at the desired level...

Something like that. After all, you're just aiming to fill with minimum splashing/disturbance to the brew.....

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
The bottling wand leaves its own submerged volume behind as airspace, so the taller the bottle, the more space it leaves... if you want to keep using it for bottling in crown capped bottles, you just have to get used to depressing the valve against the side of the bottle to fill the very top after filling most of the bottle with the valve against the bottom.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns