• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Walnut Honey for Mead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

ScottMcArron

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2013
Kaiserslautern, Germany
Hey guys, newbie here. I've made a few relatively successful batches of mead so far, some better than others. Have a question I can't seem to find the answer for through searching this site. I've gotten my hands on some raw walnut honey from a local beekeeper here in Germany. It tastes fantastic! It's dark and, well, nutty. Quite the character.

Has anyone successfully made mead from walnut honey? I've seen people post about walnut extract or trying to use black walnuts without much success. Seems walnut honey might be the way to go to get that nutty character. What do you think? Any experience you can lend me in what might go wrong?

My plan:
3.5 lbs walnut honey
handful of raisins for the yeast (try to keep it as natural a process as possible)
D47 yeast (has worked well for me so far, and I have it on hand, and environment is under 70 degrees, so I believe it should be fine)
Fill to 1 gallon water

Any thoughts on this? Danke!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Walnut ? No, but I've done Italian Chestnut honey, which was dark, sweet but with an earthy/dusty sort of note.

I think (can't be certain) that it was either K1V or 71B (not a big fan of D47 as it seems to leave too much of a "white-winey" sort of note when fermented dry (with proper nutrients - raisins can add body but it seems you need too much for correct nutrition IMO).......

So I'd say yes, give it a go.....should be excellent.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Walnut honey?

I would love to say that walnut honey would not ferment in Germany and that you would need to ship it to the Netherlands.... but, that wouldn't be right....

Should make an awesome batch.....

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Dont the French guys actually make mead with green unripe walnuts? I keep wanting to try it but the honry budget has to have room for it. We have hundreds of walnut trees here, will have to see if the bees work it. WVMJ

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
Hundreds of walnut trees? I am SO jealous. Not only are the nuts nice, but the wood is worth a FORTUNE to furniture makers....Have heard of trees going for $5000 and more....You have your retirement fund growing on your property !!!

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
They are alleopathic and I need to cut a bunch down to make it safe for some apple trees, they dont get along, the walnuts will kill them slowly. I also hate tripping on walnuts as we walk around. Not going to cut them down just because I have a chainsaw, most are going to be left alone in peace for the dam 10 pound squirrels that eat them, and then our apples! But that green walnut mead keeps sounding interesting. WVMJ

danr

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 2, 2012
San Diego, CA
They are alleopathic

allelopathy
The inhibition of growth in one plant species by chemicals produced by another. For example, other plants will often not grow underneath black walnut trees, since these trees produce juglone, a chemical inhibiting plant respiration.

That was my new word for today. Thanks.

TheAlchemist

I am Meadlemania
GotMead Patron
Sep 9, 2010
near a lake
allelopathy
The inhibition of growth in one plant species by chemicals produced by another. For example, other plants will often not grow underneath black walnut trees, since these trees produce juglone, a chemical inhibiting plant respiration.

That was my new word for today. Thanks.

"juglone" is nice, too...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns