• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Acid balance from just fruit

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Ok so bored and was brainstorming my next batch. I was thinking of using fruit as if they were an acid blend. Was thinking Banana(tartaric)/Kiwi(malic)/orange(citrus) in a 40/40/20 ratio.
Anyone else tried this? Kinda turned off from the banana taste but will do it for science!

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Ok so bored and was brainstorming my next batch. I was thinking of using fruit as if they were an acid blend. Was thinking Banana(tartaric)/Kiwi(malic)/orange(citrus) in a 40/40/20 ratio.
Anyone else tried this? Kinda turned off from the banana taste but will do it for science!

I am making some banana wine and even while still very "green" does not in any way taste like banana - more like a chardonay. You need to use very, very ripe bananas

anir dendroica

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 15, 2009
Corvallis, OR
I don't think I would use bananas to add acid - they have a strong flavor that will definitely come through in the finished product, and they aren't that acidic so you would need quite a bit.

Tamarind is a great idea. Verjus (juice of unripe grapes) might be good as well and would contribute tartaric/malic/citric acids. I have a cousin that does a good business selling verjus, but I have yet to try it in mead.

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I am making some banana wine and even while still very "green" does not in any way taste like banana - more like a chardonay. You need to use very, very ripe bananas

hmm interesting ty. So what you are saying to get that banana taste use ripe ones. Wonder if not so ripe green banana's still have the same acidity?

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
I don't think I would use bananas to add acid - they have a strong flavor that will definitely come through in the finished product, and they aren't that acidic so you would need quite a bit.

Tamarind is a great idea. Verjus (juice of unripe grapes) might be good as well and would contribute tartaric/malic/citric acids. I have a cousin that does a good business selling verjus, but I have yet to try it in mead.

i wouldnt mind tryin the Tamarind, just not sure how much of the concentrate to use. I dont want to over do it and kill the mead.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns