• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Creme Brulee Mead Idea

Barrel Char Wood Products

dogbert

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 6, 2013
I've got about a half dozen recipes for melomel and metheglyn style meads that consistently turn out good, and are very drinkable after six months.

I was thinking of trying out the following recipe:
  • 15lbs Caramelized Honey
  • 3 whole pears, crushed and boiled into a lumpy solution to add to the mead
  • 1/2lbs Caramelized/Burnt Sugar in Solution
  • 1cup homemade vanilla extract (made from approximately 1cup Grey Goose vodka with 6 vanilla beans chopped and scraped in solution for 4 months)
  • 1sachet EC-1118 yeast
  • DAP and yeast energizer using staggered nutrient addition schedule
  • Water to fill up the 5gallon carboy

Does this sound like it would turn out any good? The caramelized honey is nice, as it seems to have a bit of unfermentable sugar in it, and I don't think the yeast can make use of the burnt sugar either, so no back sweetening seems to be necessary when using caramelized sugars. The homemade vanilla extract also is more potent in aroma and taste than the store bough stuff. I'm mainly concerned about the burnt sugar overpowering the other aromas.

Thank you.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
30 pounds of pears, roasted under a broiler would mand an impression, but 3 pears is just going to make a pectin haze. If you got some pear nectar in a jar that would be better, or pear cider. Not sure what the burnt sugar is going to add since you already have caramelized honey, or were you going to go just to like mahoghony on the honey and scortch the sugar black - but you might just extract the bitter black flavor and loose the sweetness, a trail is called forth - scorch some sugar, dissolve it in some water and see what it tastes like, whoops, make that with a shot of everclear to see if the alcohol dissolves anything bad out of the burnt sugar. WVMJ

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
My main concern would be what all this stuff tastes like after fermentation is done with it. It may leave all the bitter and eat all the sweet.

That actually might not be a bad thing as you would probably have the perfect base for sweetening.

Unless of course, you're right about the unfermentable nature of the cooked sugars.

In any case, a creme brûlée mead sounds awesome.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I have a bochet cyser that had a weird ferment and has lots of residual sugar even though I restarted it with EC-1118. If I do another bochet I will only caramelize half of the honey, maybe less.

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
I always like seeing your dog in your pic. How about a thread on this batch, everyone is still experimenting with this bochet style. I do think backsweeting a Bochet with a little raw honey adds back a little body and reminds you it is still a honey product. WVMJ

I have a bochet cyser that had a weird ferment and has lots of residual sugar even though I restarted it with EC-1118. If I do another bochet I will only caramelize half of the honey, maybe less.

UKTony

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Dec 24, 2012
Richmond, VA
I concur with Honeyhog; As noted in my Top 10 things I learned from my first few weeks here: http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21779

Champagne Yeast is only the answer to a handful of questions. Are you...

1. Making sparkling mead?
2. Restarting a stuck fermentation, that you have been unable to restart by any other method?
3. Looking to make a rocket-fuel mead that needs 18%+ alcohol content?

For everything else, there are alternatives to the sledgehammer of yeasts. All of which will likely give a more aromatic, more complex final product.

Hope my 2¢ helps.

Tony

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
I always like seeing your dog in your pic. How about a thread on this batch, everyone is still experimenting with this bochet style. I do think backsweeting a Bochet with a little raw honey adds back a little body and reminds you it is still a honey product. WVMJ

Hahahahaha, everyone loves Foster, my dog. That costume of his got me a lot of candy on Halloween night. People would call me over, offering me candy if they could pet Foster. It's always the same, I'm totally outshone by my dog, hahahaha. So simple too, it's just a vets cone cut into a daisy shape and spray painted white, taa daa.

I just tasted the Bochet the other day when I was checking the gravity. It's not offensive but at this point it's nothing special. I'm hoping the burntness taste mellows out. I heated my honey to in candy making terms would be called hard crack maybe a bit hotter about 370F. It's still as dark as Guinness. It's been sitting since Sept. when the last of the fermentation was done. Seems to have stopped at a SG of 1.036.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns