• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Red Pyment - what's it supposed to taste like?...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Suspect this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question...

For the point of argument, we're talking about a Joe's Quick Pyment with Purple Concord, although I've got another 2-3 variations which are similar...

Basically, I started some red pyments, as I like red wine and I like mead. That simple a reasoning really. The Quick Pyment is approx 3-4months old atm. Racking and tasting the other day, it seemed to me to lack alot of the body of a red - in fact, if I tasted blind I would have probably pegged it as a rose, perhaps a little more tannic.

Is this the deal with red pyments? More akin to rose than fortified reds?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Suspect this is a bit of a 'how long is a piece of string' question...

For the point of argument, we're talking about a Joe's Quick Pyment with Purple Concord, although I've got another 2-3 variations which are similar...

Basically, I started some red pyments, as I like red wine and I like mead. That simple a reasoning really. The Quick Pyment is approx 3-4months old atm. Racking and tasting the other day, it seemed to me to lack alot of the body of a red - in fact, if I tasted blind I would have probably pegged it as a rose, perhaps a little more tannic.

Is this the deal with red pyments? More akin to rose than fortified reds?
Ah......well it depends on the makings......

I've got about 20 gallons of pyment upstairs aging/clearing/oaking, but its more like a red wine but with hints of honey.

Why ?

Because it was fresh grape (merlot, syrrah and tempranillo) but with honey added and step fed until the yeast pooped out. I was trying to keep the skins in until they sank but I bottled out as the ferment was finished and the skins were still floating.......

haven't tasted it recently though so dunno how its getting on.......

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Ah......well it depends on the makings......

I've got about 20 gallons of pyment upstairs aging/clearing/oaking, but its more like a red wine but with hints of honey.

Why ?

Because it was fresh grape (merlot, syrrah and tempranillo) but with honey added and step fed until the yeast pooped out. I was trying to keep the skins in until they sank but I bottled out as the ferment was finished and the skins were still floating.......

haven't tasted it recently though so dunno how its getting on.......

The Joe's Quick recipe uses just approx 2l juice per gallon...that's Welsh's Purple Concord from the supermarket (damn that it looses that colour!). I've either used that, supermarket Merlot juice, and one that I've not tasted with some kit Merlot concentrate (which seems half glucose syrup and blackcurrant juice). The last one I've not tasted yet, but the kit was good for 5gal, and it's a 5gal batch, so the red juice should be more prominant.

It does sound like your raw materials are much better tho! Where did you get your grapes? I did a quick google where I could get them, or better concentrate, but didn't come up with anything.

Maybe I'm misguided, but one of the reasons I got started on the mead, is at least you can get honey here as good an anywhere else, rather than having to make substandard wine from concentrate....

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
The Joe's Quick recipe uses just approx 2l juice per gallon...that's Welsh's Purple Concord from the supermarket (damn that it looses that colour!). I've either used that, supermarket Merlot juice, and one that I've not tasted with some kit Merlot concentrate (which seems half glucose syrup and blackcurrant juice). The last one I've not tasted yet, but the kit was good for 5gal, and it's a 5gal batch, so the red juice should be more prominant.

It does sound like your raw materials are much better tho! Where did you get your grapes? I did a quick google where I could get them, or better concentrate, but didn't come up with anything.

Maybe I'm misguided, but one of the reasons I got started on the mead, is at least you can get honey here as good an anywhere else, rather than having to make substandard wine from concentrate....
It's all rather counter intuitive with grapes. Its easy to believe that you press white grapes you get white juice and black juice from black grapes, but of course, that's not correct.

to get as much colour as they do with the concord or other juices is pretty good, because as a general rule the juice is the same "white" colour irrespective of variety.

its why you see the character listed as being good for reds, on some yeast. The old standby for home brewing RC--212 (the only red specific yeast in home brew packs).

Some yeast is good for both.

I can't say for certain but would get that some yeasts have a more robust bleaching effect during the ferment than others.

All the colour comes from the skins so it'd be quite hard to pulp the grapes and keep skin contact to extract the colour and tannins without some kind of chems.

like I mentioned, I bottled out waiting for the skins to sink as the ferment had stopped and I was concerned about opening the bucket to punch the cap down after the ferment had ceased, so I just racked and pressed.........

as for where the grapes came from ? As far as I know, the wholesale market at New Covent Garden. They're organised by Bob and/Brian over at winesathome.co.uk (just look up grapefest there and you'll see the score - with a username like yours, I suspect Scotland ? Well we sometimes get "the Aberdeen contingent" coming down with a few others).

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
It's all rather counter intuitive with grapes. Its easy to believe that you press white grapes you get white juice and black juice from black grapes, but of course, that's not correct.

to get as much colour as they do with the concord or other juices is pretty good, because as a general rule the juice is the same "white" colour irrespective of variety.

its why you see the character listed as being good for reds, on some yeast. The old standby for home brewing RC--212 (the only red specific yeast in home brew packs).

Some yeast is good for both.

I can't say for certain but would get that some yeasts have a more robust bleaching effect during the ferment than others.

All the colour comes from the skins so it'd be quite hard to pulp the grapes and keep skin contact to extract the colour and tannins without some kind of chems.

like I mentioned, I bottled out waiting for the skins to sink as the ferment had stopped and I was concerned about opening the bucket to punch the cap down after the ferment had ceased, so I just racked and pressed.........

as for where the grapes came from ? As far as I know, the wholesale market at New Covent Garden. They're organised by Bob and/Brian over at winesathome.co.uk (just look up grapefest there and you'll see the score - with a username like yours, I suspect Scotland ? Well we sometimes get "the Aberdeen contingent" coming down with a few others).

I get what your saying about the colour of the juice. I was having a play mashing up some red grapes over the weekend - as you do - the flesh is white.

I'm a northerner, but working in Salisbury atm. The name is just something I used on a gaming foruming and couldn't think of anything better for here. I pass thru London pretty regularly so I'll have a nose at the New Covent Garden market. The grapefest is basically a jolly where everyone meets up and presses whatever?!

On most of the reds I used EC1118. I know it's not the best yeast to throw at everything, just as you probably know, if you have a suden urge to make something it tends to be the main thing to get at short notice. Now I mention it just gonna put in an order for a few dry packets of KV1116 etc, to have sitting around rather than end up with that all the time.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns