• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pysop1

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 4, 2014
Yes I started before I read everything (sorry) so here is the recipe
1 gal jug.
3 lbs honey
14 oz ripe rasberries
4 oz dried elderberries
1 teaspoon rasins
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 half packet d-47
Filtered water
Heated water (not to boil just below simmer) added all but d-47 and nutrient.
Put yeast in 1/2 cup water
When water at 80 degrees added nutrient then yeast.
Shook well
Stirred daily starting at day 3
On day 8 added 1/4 cup honey. (ya Im new)
It is day 11 and it is producing a bubble around every 30 seconds down from constant bubble and is a great deep maroon color.
As I did not take a hydrometer reading... any thoughts ..... and when to rack and possible ABV?

Did not have hydrometer when I started (do now).....

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Should be fine. Just check it every few days until it gets to 1.000 or less and stops going down. That means you're done. This can take anywhere from a few days to "Wow! Still fermenting?" Then you can leave it sit for a week or so to clear (or to "hey, I started this last year and it's just now clearing".) Then rack to a secondary to age until it tastes good. (Again, a few weeks or "Back in the 90's I started aging this).

In the meantime, maybe do a JAOM by the book so you can drink something soon.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Yes I started before I read everything (sorry) so here is the recipe
1 gal jug.
3 lbs honey
14 oz ripe rasberries
4 oz dried elderberries
1 teaspoon rasins
1 teaspoon yeast nutrient
1 half packet d-47
Filtered water
Heated water (not to boil just below simmer) added all but d-47 and nutrient.
Put yeast in 1/2 cup water
When water at 80 degrees added nutrient then yeast.
Shook well
Stirred daily starting at day 3
On day 8 added 1/4 cup honey. (ya Im new)
It is day 11 and it is producing a bubble around every 30 seconds down from constant bubble and is a great deep maroon color.
As I did not take a hydrometer reading... any thoughts ..... and when to rack and possible ABV?

Did not have hydrometer when I started (do now).....

This might go dry, or might not, it's borderline for D47. Take yourself a sample with that brand new hydrometer, and let us know where you're at. I would guess you started at around 1.130 +/- 0.015 if you had average honey.

This will resemble a strange red wine imho. elderberry give a very red-wine feel, the other berries and raisins will help with the 'red wine' taste, but as it matures, it will surprise you by flipping in favour of honey smell and taste with a background of red wine.

Good luck, and welcome to GotMead!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns