• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fermentation time, is there a correlation with drinkability?

Barrel Char Wood Products

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
I have been told that some mead will be drinkable right after fermentation, and some recipes even say not to age it or to just enjoy drinking it after secondary rack. Is there a correlation with fermentation speed and drinkability?

I would assume no, but would be interesting to have a few comments and opinions.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Fast ferments generally indicate the yeast are very happy with their conditions. This usually translates into cleaner ferments because the yeast are not stressed.

As to drinkability, fast/clean ferment generally lead to mead that is ready to drink faster. How fast depends on the inherent characteristics of the specific yeast you used. Some yeast produce a product ready to drink as soon as the ferment is done (although a bit of age doesn't hurt). Other yeast (many wine yeast) may go from needing a year of age to 6 months with a clean ferment. Your yeast choice is very important.

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
Fast ferments generally indicate the yeast are very happy with their conditions. This usually translates into cleaner ferments because the yeast are not stressed.

As to drinkability, fast/clean ferment generally lead to mead that is ready to drink faster. How fast depends on the inherent characteristics of the specific yeast you used. Some yeast produce a product ready to drink as soon as the ferment is done (although a bit of age doesn't hurt). Other yeast (many wine yeast) may go from needing a year of age to 6 months with a clean ferment. Your yeast choice is very important.

What would be a fast/clean yeast to use if you wanted to drink it with less aging?

Currently, I have two batches with D47, they are taking slightly slower than average to ferment, but they are fermenting.

I wouldn't mind using something from White Labs, how would that turn out?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Of course, I'm going to say make a BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead) with Wyeast 1388 because I'm Bray!

Bob1016

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2012
Coral Springs, FL
I would say that there is probably no direct correlation, but as Bray pointed out, there are many indirect correlations (primarily yeast health). As Bray said, yeast strain will be a primary variable, but if you do D10 very cold (~55F) you can have faster drinking results than D47 at 70F even though the D10 will take 1mo+ and the D47 ~2weeks to ferment.
From the quick meads I've tasted, BOMM is by far the best (I'm not too fond of JAO, and I think it does need age); carb it up, backsweeten if you want, you can drink it right after it's done.

Last edited:

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
Of course, I'm going to say make a BOMM (Bray's One Month Mead) with Wyeast 1388 because I'm Bray!

Awesome, I will more than likely be trying your method from this point forward. Have you tried using lemon, orange, clementine zest instead of DAP and Fermaid K?

Last edited:

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Awesome, I will more than likely be trying your method from this point forward. Have you tried using lemon, orange, clementine zest instead of DAP and Fermaid K?

Yes. Check the JAO BOMM thread.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I would say that there is probably no direct correlation, but as Bray pointed out, there are many indirect correlations (primarily yeast health). As Bray said, yeast strain will be a primary variable, but if you do D10 very cold (~55F) you can have faster drinking results than D47 at 70F even though the D10 will take 1mo+ and the D47 ~2weeks to ferment.
From the quick meads I've tasted, BOMM is by far the best (I'm not too fond of JAO, and I think it does need age); carb it up, backsweeten if you want, you can drink it right after it's done.

I have been using D47 exclusively for my first 8 ferments, and so far, for me anyway, when D47 is held at ~59°F to ~61°F I have had GREAT results with cider, cyser, melomel, and mead. But I did notice on my tests that if it is held above ~64°F is starts to produce fusels and make it hot and gasohol like....

Just my experience. Plus (weirdly enough) they finish much faster at the lower temps for me ???

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
I have been using D47 exclusively for my first 8 ferments, and so far, for me anyway, when D47 is held at ~59°F to ~61°F I have had GREAT results with cider, cyser, melomel, and mead. But I did notice on my tests that if it is held above ~64°F is starts to produce fusels and make it hot and gasohol like....

Just my experience. Plus (weirdly enough) they finish much faster at the lower temps for me ???

I'm not sure exactly why that is, but D47 is rated to be used between 59 and 69 F, as it's sweet spot.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
fast ferments ?

I would have thought that a fast ferment would mean that many of the more subtle flavor and aroma notes would be lost. Cider makers, such as Claude Jolicoeur, for example, talk about using the lowest temperatures possible (sometimes close to freezing). Not suggesting that a fast ferment does not mean that the yeast is happy, I just wonder if we might not be more pleased with a slower fermentation.

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Lessons from the Yeastie Beasties...

I'm not sure exactly why that is, but D47 is rated to be used between 59 and 69 F, as it's sweet spot.

I am not sure why it is so gasohol like at 65°F and higher for me, but it is, so I'll roll with it. Honey, nutrients, environmentals of all types have a big impact as well. But the 2 things I have learned from the Yeastie Beasties are:

1) We are in control.
2) you are not.

End of lessons learned from the Yeastie Beasties.

MJ7

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 5, 2014
I am not sure why it is so gasohol like at 65°F and higher for me, but it is, so I'll roll with it. Honey, nutrients, environmentals of all types have a big impact as well. But the 2 things I have learned from the Yeastie Beasties are:

1) We are in control.
2) you are not.

End of lessons learned from the Yeastie Beasties

Tushay, cheers.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns