• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Adding sulfites

Barrel Char Wood Products

reese27k

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 4, 2014
Hello everyone. I have a question. How many times can I safely add potassium metabisulfite to my mead from start to finish before it affects the taste? Let's say I was making a one gallon melomel and I added one potassium campden tablet at the beginning prior to pitching, once again at first racking, again later when stabilizing along with the sorbate, and then again after bulk aging before bottling. This seems like a lot to me. Would that be overdoing it? Could I get away with adding less?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Sulphites dissipate with time. The likely hazard would be too much too quickly....

24 to 48 hours after adding pre-pitch, most should have dissipated with some agitation.

then on racking post ferment, then every second rack etc is pretty routine.

I seem to recall there's a test for free SO2, but how that works I don't know.......

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns