• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Today's Batch - Cyser? Blackberry? BOMM

Barrel Char Wood Products

Maximus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2013
Richomond, VA
I decided on the spur of the moment to make a cyserish mead that was BOMMish in construction. I'd like to make a 2-3 gallon batch (primary in 6 gallon carboy I think...have 1,3,5,and 6.5 gal sizes). Here is what I have:

1 Gallon Cider (pres. free)
1388 WYeast
Lots of OB and local wildflower/buckwheat honey
Any spice you can think of
Some blackberry vinter's puree.

Anyone have a good idea for this? I have smacked that pack, so I am hoping to get to work in a few hours :). Thanks ya'll!

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Apple + Blackberry + Lemon might be a nice combo. as far as spices go, whenever i have any cider i like to use clove and cinnamon, but in this case i am not entirely sure what id use.

have fun :)

Maximus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2013
Richomond, VA
Since I have the puree I can skip the enzyme addition (pectinase) correct? What I am looking at now is:

Blackberry Puree (3lbs)
Wildflower Buckwheat Honey (6lbs) (I have 5lbs of OB honey left, but saving that for back-sweetening my other mead)
1 Gallon Cider
Water to 3 gallons
1388 Yeast

Now, the pH of the puree and cider should be at around 4.5 to 5 by the end of the water addition. Should I try to bring the pH down a bit before I pitch?

Lastly, I shouldn't have to heat any of this since the puree and cider are pasteurized?

Maximus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2013
Richomond, VA
That thread was my inspiration to throw something together today! I don't have everything you did, so I am going to try and make it work. Also trying to figure out if 6lbs is enough honey for 3 gallons with the cider and puree. Any chance you want to chime in on the questions I had ;-).

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
If anything, you should add K2CO3 to buffer the pH. Starting pH and buffering capacity are 2 different things. As fermentation begins, the pH will drop like a rock. Follow the standard BOMM SNAs and K2CO3 additions to be safe.

Personally, I would add the blackberry purée, 1/2 clove, and brown sugar in secondary. Hungarian medium toast oak as well. After that ferments out, step feed honey until 1.01-1.02 depending on your taste.

Only my opinion. It's your mead!

Better brewing through science!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Apple cider/juice generally has an SG around 1.04. Add honey to 1.01-1.12 and off you go.

Better brewing through science!

Maximus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2013
Richomond, VA
Well, she's off to a great start! Now on to my IPA tomorrow night! I'm growing my own hops this year so I need to put together a hopped mead recipe soon.

Maximus

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2013
Richomond, VA
Wasn't able to do an addition until today. Gravity was 1.028 with pH of 3.5. I did add 1tsp of nutrient and energizer...but then realized that may not have been necessary, esp since I was past the 1/3 fermentation point already...Hopefully nothing is jacked up.

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Ah ahaha I was like... That color looks very golden! Ahaha looks nice bro!

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
If I were u I would put the blackberry purée into your Carboy then rack onto it

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns