• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Couple of 71b-1122 questions

Barrel Char Wood Products

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Okay, I'm using 71b for a 'fairly' light, SG1.080, red grape cyser (i.e. 'clearing juice and apples out the freezer cyser'). I chose 71b as for it's ability to metabolise malic acid, as half the apples are cookers and I want to tone down the acidity. I read unlike with bacterial malo-lactic fermentation, this yeast converts malic acid to ethanol. My questions:

- will the malic > ethanol conversion have a non-trival effect on the final ABV?
- I may want to bottle prime some of it. Is this out of the question for 71b with it's reputation for giving off-flavours from the lees?

Maeloch

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 6, 2013
UK
Um, just dawned on me, probably should have posted this in yeasties and beasties.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Posting this kind of question in either place is fine. Now, to your questions - first, the amount of malic acid metabolized by the yeast will have no measurable effect on the final ABV. Second, it is not a good idea to bottle prime and carbonate with 71B, since as you have noted, some rather nasty compounds result from the autolysis of that yeast strain.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Although 71B wouldn't be my first choice for bottle carbonating, it can be done without creating "funk". Let if clarify as much as possible before carbonating so that the amount of sediment will be minimal and your odds of having a problem will be greatly reduced.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns