PDA

View Full Version : Foolishly left Mead for one year.....

tboyle
06-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Hello all,

Brand new to the forum and joined to get some speedy advice.

My friend who I usually make mead with was out of the country for the past year so I was not paying much attention to the last brew we made before he left.

I foolishly left an entire 5 gallon carboy of mead for a year without checking it. The mead had already been racked twice and I was waiting for additional particles to settle out before bottling but then got lazy when school started up for me last fall.

I just checked it now and the water in the airlock has totally evaporated and I am not sure if it is drinkable anymore. I assume it would have oxidized pretty badly from that but I wanted to ask this forum what they think.

It smells and tastes alot like fresh mead or young mead (not aged) for some reason and I am not sure what to do.

bottle and hope for the best? or dump it down the drain and start again?

Torin

Brewser
06-08-2014, 07:30 PM
Taste that badboy.

fatbloke
06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
I'd also say that the only way is to taste it too........

tboyle
06-08-2014, 11:15 PM
I tasted it and it was not horrible tastes alot like fresh mead so i bottled it. I hope it turns out ok.

what sort of flavours would i have been looking for if it was bad?

Torin

Riverat
06-08-2014, 11:46 PM
I tasted it and it was not horrible tastes alot like fresh mead so i bottled it. I hope it turns out ok.

what sort of flavours would i have been looking for if it was bad?

Torin

I've heard "wet cardboard", "sherry, to bad sherry" or even vinegar...knock on wood I have yet to see it myself but I get the impression that traditionals are pretty resistant to oxidation

WVMJack
06-09-2014, 06:16 AM
It would have turned brown and tasted bad, sounds like yours tasted good so great. NO EXCUSE to not check an airlock, takes what 5 seconds?? Keep a little bottle of KM water beside your carboys to make topping up the airlock less of a chore. You should always visit your meads often to fully appreciate them during their birth and maturing, talk to them a little to make them feel wonderful, give the carboy a little rub every now and then and they will always perform much better for you. WVMJ

Stasis
06-09-2014, 08:29 AM
True, they say that playing mozart softly to your mead can make it age better