• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead/brew combo?? Lol

Barrel Char Wood Products

Grimesin28

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 18, 2014
Hi all I'm new here and new to mead making although by accident. But oh we'll my intent was to get into mead making anyway.
So here's what happened. I started off with wine making and made 4 batches of wine. Then I got into brewing and made two batches. My next venture was into mead making, it's what I'm most excited about.
Anyway, on my third batch of brew I thought I'd venture out of the box and start experimenting and the opportunity presented itself when I made a 5gal kid of red ale. The sg was 1. 40 which was a little on the light side but I started fermenting. I couldn't leave it alone just wanted to try something outside of all the kits. I always heard about adding a little honey to beer so I thought what the heck and here goes. So on day three of fermentation it seemed to be just past the peek fermentation, I added almost 3 pounds of honey. Thought it would add a touch of flavor and alcohol. I "thought" 3 pounds was just a little bit, little did i know... Lol after researching into mead making I realized 3 pounds was quite a bit and actually fermented out more and different than sugar.
Well here I am with a brew?? Or is it a mead?? Lol
I racked it into a secondary yesterday at day 14. It is quite cloudy" at least I think it is" I've never brewed a beer into secondary so don't know how it should look" lol" but it looks good and smells good. There are a few yeast rafts and there are tiny bubbles working to the top but hardly any or actually nothing to speak of coming out of my airlock. The specific gravity is 1.085.
Any thoughts, ideas, laughs?? They would be appreciated. I'm actually stoked about what this will be because I'm having fun.
My next batch will be a beginners true mead. Following the recipe to a t of course.. :))
Nice to meet you all and thanks for any replies.
Oh yeah? Should I bottle?? Age?? Treat like beer or wine?
I did another batch of beer a day later and racked that into a secondary and it is not making the bubbles. Am ready to bottle this as it is just a drinking beer.

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
Well meads made with malt would usually be considered as "braggot" but braggots can be more wine-like so would be treated like a normal mead but equally if you read over at homebrewtalk, you'll see lots made in a more beer like way.

You could do a bit of research and work out what percentage of fermtables is malt and what is honey....

because if its 51% or more honey it'd be braggot if its 51% or more malt then it would be considered honey beer/ale.....

Aragorn

NewBee
Registered Member
May 4, 2014
East NC
1.085 is really high... I don't think it's done yet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grimesin28

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 18, 2014
Thanks for the responses. My sg was 1-040 and fg or last time I checked was 1.0085. Sorry bout the errors there.
So, will this stuff be drinkable? Or better yet even maybe good?? Lol

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
What was ur gravity at after you added your honey? Sounds like this should be quite good, might even be nice to backsweeten this with additional honey

Sent from The Age of Legends, trapped inside a Stasis Box

Grimesin28

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 18, 2014
What was ur gravity at after you added your honey? Sounds like this should be quite good, might even be nice to backsweeten this with additional honey

Morbid in, I'm not sure i never checked after I added the honey. :((

I would love to sweeten with honey!! I'm very new to this, can you walk me through the process please??
Thanks!!

Grimesin28

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 18, 2014
No haven't stabilized it. Should I?? Lol never stabilized my beer. Like I said it still has tiny bubbles working their way to the top. But hardly any " or none that I've noticed" through the air lock. Really don't know what to do...

moridin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 12, 2013
Vancouver, B.C.
Well since this is a beer/ mead stabilizing would make you unable to carb it unless u force carb. You could backsweeten with honey and then once you get the carbonation you want stovetop pasturize the batch -- did this for a cider and worked beautifully

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Careful with the stovetop pasteurization. You could get hurt! BOOM! Best thing is to treat it like a beer, let it ferment out, then prime and bottle. I am sure you will be happy.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now. G

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns