• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Reputation... apparently I have one!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I was at my local brew supply store this afternoon getting more potassium sorbate because I want to get some stuff bottled before all the fruit ripens this year... I'd just finished paying for my stuff when this lady walks in and asks the guy behind the counter about making mead. "You're in luck," he says, "the local expert on mead is right here." And he waves towards me... so I chatted with her for a while and directed her here, so hopefully we'll have another member from Ottawa joining up, she says she and her husband mixed fresh pressed apple juice and honey together in a carboy and have been waiting for it to do something but it's only making a small amount of bubbles, so we recommended making an acclimated starter of K1V and adding it... She also had a recipe with her given to her by a friend that goes by honey volume and suggests using a champagne yeast... so I told her that EC-1118 isn't going to ruin it, but K1V gets almost the same results but is more heat and abuse tolerant as well as a little gentler on the subtler flavours. We also recommended a hydrometer and showed her how to use it, telling her it was the only way to tell if your yeast is doing something, and it's the only way to tell your yeast is done fermenting so it won't explode bottles on you. Always nice when people want to research things before they get too deeply into it!

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
I always thought your reputation was that girl that sneaks into her neighbors yards when their apple trees are ripe and picks most of the apples but leaves a few for the owners to eat :) WVMJ

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Oh, no, that's public park apples, I don't pick anything I can reach by hand but anything past 6' high is fair game for my fruit picker. Personal private property apples, I always ask the property owners first and provide them with a bottle of whatever I make from their fruit when I'm done.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
<sigh> Yeah, that too... and of course having so many full bottles I couldn't possibly drink it all. Hopefully I'll be resolving that situation... a friend of mine is taking a bunch of my wares to a festival. We'll see what he comes home with. I'm gonna send a couple bottles of the jalapeno wine just to see if anyone's as crazy as I am.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns