• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

EJM3 Are you surviving the fires?

Barrel Char Wood Products

edblanford

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 19, 2010
Salt Lake City, Utah
EJM3,

I hope your old house and becoming extensive plantings (to say nothing of mead in progress) are well away from the danger areas that surround Leavenworth, WA at this point.

I am originally from Yakima and love that area. Sad to see so much damage there!

Ed

Last edited:

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
Lucky me spent an awesome week with friends in Wenatchee (daughter and son-in-law of the guy that tainted my mead) helping clean up from pops, some weed pulling, and helping them label their 4,000 garlic plants (nothing over 10 pounds for me though). Plus watching a crew of guys take down a 70 some year old Siberian Elm that was VERY diseased and right about 80 feet tall (24.3 meters for the rest of the world) with 4 trunks, EPIC takedown!!!

Lucky for us the flames are still a few miles outside town, but the smoke was incredible. People are comparing the fires this year with the 1994 fires. Not that bad yet, but bad enough for the President to visit and offer federal dollars to help out. Highway 2 is still closed, only way into Lake Chelan is from the North and only 1 road at that, 97 and 97A intermittently closed, I-90 closed for a short while, Blewett is seeing a LOT of traffic, Pateros and Ardenvoir sustained about 200 burned homes and are literally a disaster, and the litany goes on and on... Totally Frelled....

And the damage is what it is, it'll return, but it's not the prettiest thing to look at. Plus the rain and snow will just make for soil erosion and floods depending on how deeply the heat penetrated the ground. Yes it's bad now, but it could make more problems 5 and even 10 years down the road...

Thanks for the concern!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns