• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Awesome - wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Goea to show that some wine guys have class.

Sent from my galafreyan transdimensional communicator 100 years from now.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
hah love that quote. I should change my signature before someone else nabs it :p

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
Piatz is quoting from Robert Gayre from Wassail! In Mazers of Mead in his introduction.

Gayre says 'mead came first, followed by a lesser beverage made from grapes, and an even lesser beverage made from grains". In his view grapes and grains were used out of necessity only when honey was scarce and expensive.

He goes on 'ale started out as a light mead made from honey, but adopted the use of grains as 'a cheap substitute for honey'.

Last edited:

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Piatz is quoting from Robert Gayre from Wassail! In Mazers of Mead in his introduction.

Gayre says 'mead came first, followed by a lesser beverage made from grapes, and an even lesser beverage made from grains". In his view grapes and grains were used out of necessity only when honey was scarce and expensive.

He goes on 'ale started out as a light mead made from honey, but adopted the use of grains as 'a cheap substitute for honey'.

That's probably true but quite impossible to verify.

ScottBehrens

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Aug 26, 2012
Vero Beach, FL
Yep, wish we knew for sure. Kind of goes against the beer invention story of the farmer who accidentally left his grain out in the rain. We'll never have that recipe again.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yep, wish we knew for sure. Kind of goes against the beer invention story of the farmer who accidentally left his grain out in the rain. We'll never have that recipe again.

And the story that beer was discovered in ancient Egypt when an urn full of grain cracked and water seeped in. Apparently this happened often and the resulting fermented liquid was thought poisonous. Some guy tries to commit suicide by drinking it and suddenly felt a lot better. Beer is born.

Nice story but totally a figment of an active imagination.

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
Doesn't really matter what came first, as soon as humans figured out how much fun it was to ferment one thing, I'm sure they tried to ferment anything else that would sit still long enough!

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Boy oh boy. Sauerkraut. That's one of those things you wonder who was the first guy that made it and ate it. Don't get me wrong, I like it but you know what I mean right?

Kraut, cheese, soy sauce (have you seen how they make soy sauce???) all have a phase that's just nasty.

Honeyhog

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2013
Vancouver, BC
It's like garum, the popular Roman fish sauce of the time made from the fermented guts and blood of anchovies. Who would have ever originally thought that was a good idea? They used it to season many dishes, apparently it's making a small comeback, mmmm, mm. Now thems good eatin'.

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
Lack of refrigeration leads directly to "Damn, I'm hungry. I bet this is still okay, even if it does smell a little weird..." And thus were all fermented foods born. :)

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
More like, "Hey, if we encourage it to spoil this far, it tastes pretty good AND won't spoil any further!"

:)

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron

Groan. I HOPE I'm not the only one who got that. Maybe everyone else just groaned and decided to ignore it. I'm not that generous. <LOL>

Well SOMEONE left it out in the rain. I dont think that I can take it. Because it took so long to make it. And, as you said, we'll never have that recipe again.

Good one tho!

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I sometimes despair of the negative traits of the "human condition" !

Especially when we don't realise that we have it.

All the "my booze is better/older/tastier" etc, competitive sh1t ? Is mostly marketing nonsense.

We know beer/wine/mead, all have roots going back at least 2 millennia. Fine.

Plus we all understand that the changes in the fashion for drinking certain types of booze are most likely to do with commercial needs of turning round investment quicker, so we can boast about being wealthier/richer than the next bloke.

Meads just happen to be a bit weird, inasfaras, they were almost forgotten, except as mentions in historical text (excluding a few places, like Poland, Ethiopia, etc).

So why do we need to re-invent those negatives ?

Sure there are elements of western society, are more interested in it for the historical connections, so that's nice (I've no real interest in all the ren fayres and dressing up stuff - that's mostly influenced too much by the Hollywood parasites IMO).

Maybe we can just run with the idea of making the best meads we can, given our differing local resources, and enjoy the side benefit that globalisation of trade means we can often have a go at making types that wouldn't normally be possible.

Then explain and publish the detail, in a simple open/democratic way.....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns