• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Rose water

Barrel Char Wood Products

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
I am intrigued by the notion of using rose water in lieu of plain or distilled water in my next 5 gallon batch of mead. I am sure this idea has been explored but I've yet to read anything on the use of floral water for fermenting. I am wondering if the recipe for rose water would carry over to orchids as some species have an extremely sweet nectar that releases a powerful scent at certain times of the day. Any info or direction would be welcomed. Thanx, Xixist

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
Excellent! Just what I needed to know. So I'm guessing that if rhodomel means rose mead then im going to attempt some orchimel with orchid flowers. Now to raid the greenhouse. Many thanx, Xixist

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Orchimel sounds like mead made with "mountain oysters" (which could be interesting). Might want to try another term.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Reminds me of this local tap house using a local invasive species of mussel in their beer. Can't say it's their best seller but at least the mussels aren't worthless anymore.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/283551301.html

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns