• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

newbie fermentation question

Barrel Char Wood Products

tgrantjr5757

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
I have a one gallon jug of mead that has been in the fermenter for one month. I noticed that it is now clearing up and on a lot of lees. I did rack it once already to get the fruit and such out. It seems it is now sitting on a lot of lees and clearing with only a bubble every few minutes if that. When would be a good time to put into bottles?

my recipe is simple
3 pounds raw honey
20 rasins
winemakers yeast and water

Edit: make that one bubble every minute. I timed it

Last edited:

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Hydrometer readings are the only reliable way to determine how well the fermentation is progressing. pH reading are also a big help.

tgrantjr5757

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
I took a reading and the whole meter sunk. I do not think there is any more alcohol to be gained. Should i add my bentonite to finish clearing it up before i bottle it?

PitBull

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 25, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Make sure that you stabilize before bottling. There are MANY cases where home brewers thought they were bottling completely dry mead/wine, only to see fermentation restart in the bottle. Result: Bottle bombs, requiring the ones that did not explode to be uncorked, stabilized and re-bottled. That's a lot of added work, and danger, for the few minutes needed to stabilize the first time.

tgrantjr5757

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 30, 2015
I was thinking after letting it settle for a while before bottling. I have lost quite a bit from not knowing what im doing. Before i degas with a vac pump. Should i fill the bottom with sanitized glass marbles so my gallon jug is not under a huge amount of stress?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns