• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Low gravity meads

Barrel Char Wood Products

bluestone

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2014
Norway, Europe
Hello.
I ve mostly made meads with sg of around 100 +-, with varying results. Im usually end up consuming them to young/soon... Anyway I was thinking maybe low gravity meads needed less aging. Anybody have some experience with lower gravity meads? what kind of yeast, aging time etc(recipes prosess ...) would one need for a mead with a sg of between 1.03-1.06 ?
Thanks

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
There are beer brewers who make mead with ale yeasts, so if you make one around 1.050 you are in line with also where cidermakers start out with apple juice. WVMJ

bluestone

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2014
Norway, Europe
So if one fermenting a mead with ale yeast or a mead in cider style with a champagne yeast(?) with a sg of ~1.05. What kind of aging time(months) would you think would be needed compared to a more "normal" mead with sg 1.100?

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I have toyed around with some low SG ferments and mine were generally ready right out of the fermentor. But you do need some extremely good sanitizing of everything, if you don't then you can run the risk of infected bottles or even an entire batch, just like beer. Also at the lower SG (1.050) you will have a lack of body, mouthfeel, etc, and will need to do something about that. Also the flavor of the honey will be greatly reduced unless you have a very strong honey to use. These are just my experiences so YMMV.

bluestone

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2014
Norway, Europe
Thanks for inputs...
So what kind of yeasts(if it matters at all) just to clear it up would I use in a batch with sg 1.05. If i ve went in the spectrum of Low to medium to strong flavoured stuff like : light honey, darker more flavorful honies, cyser ... grape pyment ... pure juice(or watered out) of berries like raspberry/tart cherry/blueberry/black currant.
Im no expert, but I think I read that yeasts like ale yeast are not wanted much in grape wines etc. Maybe some of this ingrediens, yeasts need less or more aging?

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I think the real problem will be a lack of flavor as EJM3 suggests. Here's why - all the flavor and all the alcohol is coming from the honey. To achieve a gravity of about 1.060 you will be using 1.5 lbs of honey to make a gallon of mead. That is a very diluted solution and that dilution dilutes the flavor. Sure, in place of diluting the honey with water you could dilute it with apple juice or grape juice or some other fruit juice but fruit juice contains sugar (about 1 lb in a gallon - wine grapes are an exception ) so you will need to reduce the quantity of honey still more... The only practical way I can think of to make a flavor rich mead with such a low gravity is to use the small amount of honey, then ferment it but then stabilize and back sweeten this to an astronomical level (tooth grindingly sweet) . You will have the low gravity, the flavor but I am not sure that it will be drinkable - although I am sure that one could sip this or use as a kind of syrup to add to ice cream or cake..

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
So you have never tasted a beermakers mead before? Not all meads have to be made like wine, the lower alcohol levels are still in balance with the flavors. The first mead we tasted was from a beermaker, boiled honey and beer yeast, bottled in beer bottles, tasty good. WVMJ

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Was it carbonated? I find that makes a big difference in the perceived body, and the degassing boosts the aroma. So yes, a hydromel can be really good. I admit I like them a bit on the sweet side.

Still (non-carbonated) hydromels haven't really tickled my fancy, but that doesn't mean one can't be good.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Last edited:

bluestone

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 9, 2014
Norway, Europe
I think something with a lot of flavour like pure pressed from fresh berries 100% blackcurrant/raspberry juice will have a gravity of around 1.06. If I water that out 50/50 and add honey I dont think I would necessarily lack flavour, but I dont know for sure...

Would it be a good option to carbonate melomels(apple, grape, berries) to make it better?

How about the yeast questions in post #5?

Chevette Girl

All around BAD EXAMPLE
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa, ON
I've made fruit hydromels many times, usually with K1V-1116 or EC-1118 and they do take less time to age, they tend to ferment and clear quite quickly and I tend to like them carbonated too. What yeast to use? It really depends what you're looking for. I've made fruity beers with wine yeast before, it still works but as I haven't done side by side comparisons I don't know what the difference would be using a beer yeast instead. Perhaps taking a look at LoveofRose's early experiments that were the predecessors to his BOMM protocol might be of worth to you.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns