• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

I stupidly forgot to check the abv of my mead at start... how can I now test the %

Barrel Char Wood Products

Saratoga

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2015
As above. I have fermented mead, but how can I tell its strength, short of drinking etc.
Apologies for my idiocy and thank you for any help.

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
Do you mean you forgot to check specific gravity? If you let it ferment till it's done you could get close just by knowing what type of yeast you used.

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
Take a gravity reading now, so you know where it's at, then use the mead calculator and plug in the ingredients you used to get a ballpark of where you started.

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
Do you mean you forgot to check specific gravity? If you let it ferment till it's done you could get close just by knowing what type of yeast you used.

You can push yeast well past its tolerance, or it could have stalled. Using a hydrometer is the recommended way of measuring.

bathtub brewer

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2014
Palmer, Alaska
Yes, I realize a hydrometer is the preferred method. I was just trying to say under less then ideal circumstances you might be able to get close from knowing how your yeast behaves.

Saratoga

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2015

Yes sorry - specific gravity. I used Lalvin wine yeast, with my own "grown" honey. It is done fermenting.

Saratoga

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 6, 2015
You can push yeast well past its tolerance, or it could have stalled. Using a hydrometer is the recommended way of measuring.

Also is there a simple strip of "paper" I can add to the brew that estimates % alcohol? Kind of like a breathalyser...

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
As far as I know only a vinometer can calculate the alcohol content. But vinometers are inaccurate and only work for dry wines/meads. Just about nobody in this forum suggests using one. Easiest way is to use a hydrometer. Take a reading now, plug in the ingredients and amounts into the mead calculator and you will get a good estimate

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
Also is there a simple strip of "paper" I can add to the brew that estimates % alcohol? Kind of like a breathalyser...
A breathalyser is a very interesting thing to ask about. It might be fun to take a sample of air from the headspace of a batch and push it through a breathalyzer to see if it correlates with the ABV. You'd probably be able to publish a nice article in Zymurgy or some other journal.

Labs have a variety of methods to measure alcohol including spectrophotometry, and chromatography and for a true measurement you can send a sample to a wine lab. That's probably overkill for most of us.

The method mentioned above, using an estimate of original gravity and the current gravity will work for the calculations.

You can also take a hydrometer reading and a refractometer reading at the same time and use a formula to calculate the ABV. There are websites with calculators online such as vinocalc that you can plug the numbers into for easy use. There is a thread here, if you search, on improving on these formulas if you are into the math.

There is another method called "spirit indication" where you boil off the alcohol and take hydrometer readings. There's a calculator on vinocalc that will work the numbers. If you search SPIRIT INDICATION you'll find some threads that discuss it. To be close to accurate you really need fine-scale hydrometers.

All of the home methods will give you an ESTIMATE of ABV. None of them are perfect and you may be +/- 1% or more easily so try not to get too worked up over it.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
As above. I have fermented mead, but how can I tell its strength, short of drinking etc.
Apologies for my idiocy and thank you for any help.

Assuming that your honey has about the same percentage of water in it as all other honey and assuming that 1 lb of your honey dissolved to make 1 gallon (US) of must will increase the gravity by 40 points then if you know a) the quantity of honey you dissolved and b) the volume of the liquid into which you pitched the yeast then you can easily estimate the starting gravity.
In other words, if you dissolved 2.5 lbs of honey and had 1 gallon then your SG would be about 1.100. If you can estimate the starting gravity then if you multiply that by 131 this will give you a good estimation of the potential ABV. (if it was 2.5 lbs of honey and you were making 1 gallon of mead, then the potential total ABV would be about 13%) You don't really need any high tech equipment.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns