• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

3 Gallon Chugging, Half Gallons Stuck

Barrel Char Wood Products

veridian_sera

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2015
I've made fruit wines but here is my weird experiment with a mead.

Initial Ingredients:

9lbs honey
3 gallons water
2 oz ginger
3 squeezed oranges' juice
1 vanilla bean
4 balls of dragon pearl tea for some tannin
2 tsp yeast nutrient
Lalvin K1-v1116

SG of 1.100

I started it out with a yeast starter in a primary bucket and step fed it 2 more tsp of yest nutrient. After about 10 days it was down to an SG of 1.010. I decided it was time to siphon into a carboy. I keep three gallons cause those fit in my lower kitchen cabinets nicely but I always rack off into a couple of half gallons to top up when I rack the next time. Well, my mind decided that since the K1 could take a little more alcohol that I could add a little more honey, but I did this unconventionally. I had 3lb left over so I poured 2 lb into the 3 gallon carboy and a half lb into each half gallon carboy (yes, I later realised the math ratios weren't spot on). I also add about 2 oz more ginger to the 3 gallon cause apparently the ginger I used was weak. Thing is, I just added the honey and let the pressure from the siphon and must stir it. The 3 gallon it worked like a charm. The halfs not so much. Had some separation in them by the end of the day. I swirled them for a while to fix that.

As of now, about a week after transfer, the 3 gallon is a happy camper and bubbling away at about 1 pop every 3 seconds. My top up jugs are not moving unless I swirl a little and I think that might be just trapped CO2 as I have to do this once a day to get it moving again.

I have some theories for why it seems stuck:
Too much honey
The 3 gallon is benefitting from the added ginger nutrients
The half gallons are just fermenting much more slowly

Was thinking of some options:
Adding water
Adding yeast energizer
Repitiching yeast

Either way, it's not a big loss, just something in me wants them to succeed. Also, if they have stopped fermenting, should I even use them to top up the 3 gallon carboy?

veridian_sera

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2015
It's in there ;)

Had an original SG of 1.12.
Got down to 1.010 in primary.
Added 2lb of honey to 3 gallons, brought it up to 1.020.
Half gallons were at a higher 1.032 (edit: after adding about a half pound to each cause I had it left over and couldn't resist.)

At the moment, I am out of town so can't get current ratings. Should be able to supply them by tomorrow evening.

Another edit: After reading all that and doing the math, I've figured that my problem is to much honey in the halfs so I will make a good enough space for water and see how that works out.

Last edited:

veridian_sera

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 10, 2015
Yep. Ph is at 3.6. I just put some water in the other day and that seemed to do the trick. Thanks for jarring my noggin'!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns