• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Vegetables in mead for color?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Evermancer

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2015
Been making mead for a while now and I occasionally I like to try new challenges and things just for fun. One of the things I have on my list is to make green mead for next St.Patric's day or the one after. Now I know I could just throw some dye in there to make it green, but I think it would be fun to color it with the initial ingredients. I'm a bit curios if anyone on here has ever used vegetables that have strong coloring properties such as kale or spinach. I'd like to try something like that if I could but then again I am concerned about that nasty vegetable smell ((The one you get when you steam vegetables and leave the pot in the sink for to long)) Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The primary flavor would probably be a ginger mead recipe that I already have had much success with. Maybe some pears or something as well. I would like to hear opinions from those who may have made a mistake or two so I don't have too :)

curgoth

Why do something when you can overdo it?
GotMead Patron
Jun 10, 2014
Toronto, ON
www.memento-mori.ca
IIRC, the reason absinthe is done at 60+% ABV is that anything lower than that and it can't hold the pretty green colour that it's well known for. I believe the green will fade into a yellower shade at mead ABVs. That said, absinthe is getting the colour from herbs rather than something like spinach or kale, but I suspect you're going to have problems getting the colour to stay.

Evermancer

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 20, 2015
IIRC, the reason absinthe is done at 60+% ABV is that anything lower than that and it can't hold the pretty green colour that it's well known for. I believe the green will fade into a yellower shade at mead ABVs. That said, absinthe is getting the colour from herbs rather than something like spinach or kale, but I suspect you're going to have problems getting the colour to stay.

Fair enough then. Thank you.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I recently tried some tea made with mulberry leaves and fruit (Stash brand). The flavor didn't knock my socks off, but it made a very green and full-bodied brew and I wondered what kind of mead it would make.

Sent from my THINGAMAJIG with WHATCHAMACALLIT

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns