• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Just found a gallon of maple syrup I bought last year

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Never got around to making the acergyln I was planning last year and totally forgot about the gallon of fresh maine maple syrup I bought for it. The top has a bit of mold but I'm told if I skim off what I can and then boil the syrup again it should be fine. So my question since I have to boil it, why not just Caramelize it. anyone ever Caramelize maple syrup and ferment it? Did a search and I couldn't find anything.

brentG

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 20, 2014
I tap maple trees and make my own syrup. Sometimes, I want a batch that's as thick as honey, so I forget the candy thermometer and boil away. I've ended up with jars of really nice, thick, honey-like syrup, and jars that solidified into pretty much maple sugar.
I've been meaning to make a batch of acergyln for a while now, but haven't gotten around to it. I've also been thinking about using the maple water instead of spring water, maybe boil it down a little to kill off the bad stuff.
As for your question, I'm confused by what you mean when saying "caramelized." Isn't it already caramelized once it's syrup? I am under the impression that's what gives it the maple syrup color -- the sap straight out of the trees is crystal clear.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns