• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ugh! Cracked my tooth!

Barrel Char Wood Products

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Needed a root canal and the endo was going to try to save my "fractured tooth" so he does step one about a week ago and says to come back today for the final step and that he was going to do everything he could to save the tooth. Had some stone crabs yesterday and wouldn't you know it a stray piece of shell gets under of ALL THE TEETH IN MY HEAD... the #2 molar and I bite down on what's supposed to be delicious succulent crab meat but instead encounter a (and this is why this crab is well named) a rock hard piece of shell... shattering the tooth into a million fucking pieces.

So.... instead of getting a nice easy crown, go to the oral surgeon...plunk down 1300 bucks... listen to the sickening cracking of the tooth being extracted piece by piece...cadaver bone graft...stitches...sigh...

Riding high on Oxycontin so.... all in all it was a great day! Can't drink for 5 days. but hey.... oxy right?

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Manny,

Been there / Done that. I've got one right now that's probably headed the same way. I can feel the fracture with my tongue. Its only a matter of time. :(

And THAT'S on "the good side". On the other side, I look like a jack-o-lantern.

I had bone grafting done when I had an implant and, actually, THAT pain was less than the pain I'd been in because the bone and tooth root were infected, but it was still opiate-worthy.

It ain't easy. You know how hard it can be-e-e. The way things are go-in'...

Joe

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
LOVE the new sig... made me laugh.

I guess that tooth was long gone a long time ago because even through the slight discomfort of the healing gash in my gums, my entire mouth feels 100% better now. The bone graft was a little creepy...dead guy in my mouth...but the opiates, which were never really needed because the surgeon seems to be very skilled are now purely recreational! Hey... I can't drink because of the amoxicillin right? Hydrocodone to the rescue! lol

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Yeah when they decide to go, they're gone. I've had a graft. And my extraction was the same as yours... made me feel lots better even with the pain of the 'procedure'.

When was it we stopped having things done and started having 'procedures'? <G>

Oh, and I lost the one I had mentioned the other day. not the whole tooth (yet), just the front, inside 1/4 of it. the shearing goes below the gum line, so we're talkin' extraction or crown this time.

At any rate, hydrocodone is great stuff. Its the only painkiller I've used that actually killed the pain without leaving me unconscious. I dont like the 'spaz' effect it tends to have on me though (the snapping to attention saying to yourself, 'what was that, what was that' every couple of minutes), so its a mixed bag.

Glad you're doing better tooth-wise,

Joe

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Yeah I don't see how anyone can take that stuff and walk around. I take it after I'm home and not going anywhere.

Mouth feels fantastic today! Just a couple more days of antibiotics and I can drink! I miss my evening glass of mead.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Holy crap, must of been painful if you're on the hillbilly heroine. The strongest I received was Lorcet after my wrist fracture and I just sank into the couch. I was a complete turd for a week.
That's a stiff bill. Looks like any Tardis remodeling will be put on hold for a while.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
That tooth of mine went exactly the way I thought it would. I lost a quarter of it, and all that was left to do was to prep it for a crown. No painkillers needed, thankfully.

The last time this happened, it was all the way to the back and, since nobody would see it, I opted for a gold crown. It was a thing of beauty. It really was. Of course, about 3 months later, I needed a root canal and rather than remove the crown and chance destroying the tooth underneath, they drilled right through the beautiful gold crown. Sigh. And to add insult to injury, 3 months after that, I ended up having to have the tooth pulled. Guess that's what I get for being young before fluoride was common in the water systems.

Joe

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ha! a gold tooth! I have to go back in two weeks to get the post implanted for the crown. That should qualify for some more Hillbilly Heroin.... lol not that I NEED SOME NOW or anything...

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Ha! a gold tooth! I have to go back in two weeks to get the post implanted for the crown. That should qualify for some more Hillbilly Heroin.... lol not that I NEED SOME NOW or anything...

Manny,

Is this a 'regular' post, or an implant?
I've had an implant in my upper front for 20 years, and its the most solid tooth in my head.
Despite the expense, it was worth every penny. And maybe I was 'conditioned' by the fact that to tooth root that it replaced had been cracked and kept getting infected and taking bone along with it, but the pain was not worth mentioning. I had "emergency bone grafting implant surgery" by the oral surgeon who pioneered the procedure. I didn't even pop an aspirin for it.

And yeah, a gold tooth. Porcelain takes up an extra couple of mm, and I've got a close bite, so the dentist recommended the gold. Since it was the last molar and it'd never be seen, I went for it. Its gone now, and all i've got to show is amalgam... and lots of it.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Good question. I think it's a regular post. It looks like a screw with a $2000 (I'm assuming) price tag. I had a bone graft because according to the oral surgeon, the very last tooth back there has little space between the mouth and the nasal cavity so the bone is put in there to give the post more room to screw into. The whole time I've had absolutely no pain. I guess since it was an accident rather than decay, there isn't any infection so little to no discomfort. Don't tell the lady that doles out the pain meds though! lol.

joemirando

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Good question. I think it's a regular post. It looks like a screw with a $2000 (I'm assuming) price tag. I had a bone graft because according to the oral surgeon, the very last tooth back there has little space between the mouth and the nasal cavity so the bone is put in there to give the post more room to screw into. The whole time I've had absolutely no pain. I guess since it was an accident rather than decay, there isn't any infection so little to no discomfort. Don't tell the lady that doles out the pain meds though! lol.

Nope. That there's one a them implant things.

Implants use a titanium post because the bone will accept it and grow around and into it, instead of trying to push it out like it would with stainless steel.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Ahhhhhh. Cool. All righty. I guess in the end it will work out just fine. Don't eat ice kids.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns