• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gravity meter reading

Barrel Char Wood Products

TattyGina

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi, just trying my first proper mead after a couple of JAOMs

Have taken a gravity reading but don't really know how to read of the numbers?

Can someone help? It was at the 110 plus three 'bars' - what does that mean? (And does it seem right for a sweet mead using Lalvin d-47?

Thank you :)

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Not 100 percent certain but I assume that there are 9 bars between each number and the next. If so each bar represents 1/10 of the next number. So, 110 plus 3 bars would be 110 + 3 or 113. And that means that the density of your mead is 1.113 and THAT means that the potential alcohol in that must is about 15% alcohol by volume. I think that is within the tolerance of D-47.

As a check by calculation rather than measurement of the density (or specific gravity) of the must , a reading of 1.113 suggests to me that you added about 1 gallon of water to every 3 lbs of honey and that should make a flavorful mead although you may need to allow this to age a good few months given the relatively high starting gravity (not high perhaps for mead, but quite high for a wine)

TattyGina

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for your reply, there are 5 bars as such so maybe that means 1.116?
I used nearly 8 1/2lbs honey for 2 1/2gallons as I have such a sweet tooth and really like a sweet mead.

I do expect to have to age it, partly why I have 4 JAOM on the go now to help with my patience!

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You are incorrect. Your reading is 1106. It will most likely go dry depending how well you keep your yeast.

TattyGina

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for your reply, I thought I had used a fair bit of honey and so is it more likely I am reading the meter wrong? I could add more honey now if not?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
You can wait until it stops and add honey after you stabilize. This is called back sweetening and allows you to have more control over the final sweetness.

It also allows the honey character to come through a lot more since it won't be fermented. Lots of folks love that.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It's good to start out in the general vicinity any way. If you go much higher it makes it hard on the yeast to get going. You can always feed it until the yeast croak from alcohol tolerance or like manny said ,, stabilize it and then add honey to your particular taste preferences.

TattyGina

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you for your replies, I think the yeast is doing something - there is a lot of foam when I stir it (for first three days?) but not any air lock activity atm, most it is doing is bulging the lid - not sure that is 'enough' activity?

The JAOMs are so simple compared to this ! Set them up and they bubble along so nicely!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns