• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First mead done! read for 2nd batch!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Fasterfred

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 10, 2014
South Florida
Hi all,
Fred here, My first batch (JAOM) turned out GREAT!(Thanks Joe!) First off I live in south Florida and Mangos are in full swing here so, Now I am wanting to try a Mango,Peach and Vanilla bean Mead, any recipes and or advice? I really have no idea of what i`m doing so any help/ advice would be greatly welcome! thanks in advance and if there is info on this feel free to point me in the right direction!
Fred:D

Fasterfred

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 10, 2014
South Florida
Ok, so i made 6 gal of my 2nd batch 16 lbs ob honey, 15 lbs mangos, 5 lbs peaches and 2 vanilla beans. I used lavin b71 (i think thats it) it bubbled like mad for 4 or 5 days then stopped . So i added 2 more lbs honey .it started back up. More later
Fred

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You need to feed that batch :)

That is a very small amount of fruit. You could easily double that. You could add more honey as well. 71-b will take that dry. You will probably want to add even more than the advised amount after you stabilize. The stuff in primary will give you a base. If you want a stronger presence add even more after you stabilize.

Fasterfred

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 10, 2014
South Florida
Well to make a long story short i ended up with a very strong 18% abv mead, quite dry with a bad kerosene taste and not much mango/peach flavor. Now I've racked it into smaller carboys to bulk age in the hopes that in a year it might be drinkable.
The next attempt will be a standard Bomm!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns