• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bochet and Bees?

Barrel Char Wood Products

CrazyHedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2015
So after my last question on black mead, a few answered with it could have been a bochet.
I had never heard of this but after an hour or so reading up....well i had a spare demijon...so thought I would give it a go.
Heating the honey, honey is very dark and I am almost at the adding water stage, a bee keeps buzzing round me, but I am in concentrated stirring mode...
Eventually, I turn around to try and catch it to put it out and realise, it is not one bee, but about 50!
The kitchen is full!
I did freak out a little, turned gas off, threw lid on and hid while my husband removed them all.
Is this normal? ???
Or did I just happen to do it on a swarming day? never had more than one bee in the house ever!
(completed my mission with all doors and windows shut!)

JayH

Worker Bee
Registered Member
May 9, 2006
Corrales, NM
Probably pretty normal. Bees LOVE honey. Last weekend at our annual mead day we turned over 60 pounds of honey in to future mead. We also had a back yard full of bees, not 50, but hundreds.

Cheers
Jay

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I've also read that if there's a hive reasonably close, it doesn't matter whether you're doing a burn for a bochet, or just mixing it up etc. You can still get a shed load of bees hanging around while it's open/exposed etc.......

WVMJack

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 12, 2013
Karnage, WV
www.wvmjack.com
Scout bee tracks down that wonderful smell of honey, she goes back and tells her mates with a waggle dance, and they all come to take it away from you:) You have to be careful not to get any honey on your doorknobs! WVMJ

CrazyHedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2015
Lol, thanks for the warnings! luckilly bees in UK are pretty docile, hubby managed to persuade them back out lol, I will just remember to close all doors and windows next time, or do it in the winter!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns