• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

How to stop active fermentation

Barrel Char Wood Products

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
Hi All,

Is there any way to stop an active fermentation without cold crashing? For my next batch I want to attempt an ABV of 12% but I wanna use a yeast strain that has a much higher alcohol tolerance. Also, is there a yeast strain that has a 10-12% tolerance?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It's always a gamble as to whether one can stop an active fermentation at all. Cold crashing is no guarantee and neither sulfite/sorbates. Why do you want to use a yeast with a much higher tolerance level than what you need. Makes little sense to me. You can look at the manufactures web sites and find what the alcohol tolerances are. Lalvin 71-b is a 14%, but just because it says a certain limit doesn't insure it will stop there either.

http://www.lallemandwine.com/

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
Just thinking aloud here but if yeast die if the temperature is too high (eg 130F - 140 F might it be possible to stop all yeast activity if the batch was heated to say 135 F . Would such heat be enough to destroy volatile aromatics or set pectins?

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
I think that is getting into the realm of Madeira or Sherry making temperatures, don't quote me on that one, I think that Medsen has experience with those techniques...

As for stopping an active ferment, I've never been able to, on purpose that is. I've made a goof & dropped the pH to something ridiculous like 2, I used it as an "alcoholic vinegar". I tried cold crashing & the little basetards chomped another 15 points before finally giving up.

About the only effective method is to cold crash first, then rack onto sulfite & sorbate. I usually had to cold crash for an average of 2 weeks to get my crystal clear, YMMV...

Last edited:

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
It's always a gamble as to whether one can stop an active fermentation at all. Cold crashing is no guarantee and neither sulfite/sorbates. Why do you want to use a yeast with a much higher tolerance level than what you need. Makes little sense to me. You can look at the manufactures web sites and find what the alcohol tolerances are. Lalvin 71-b is a 14%, but just because it says a certain limit doesn't insure it will stop there either.

http://www.lallemandwine.com/

I've had good results with EC 1118 and I want to stick with it but I don't want an abv of 19% this time. I like the result i got by letting the yeast die at its tolerance. I had an awesome batch that eventually went bad after cold crashing. I honestly don't know if the cold crash caused it to go bad but would like to avoid it if there are other options.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I certainty don't know everything by any stretch, but I'm sitting here thinking to myself and I cannot think of how, or why would cold crashing ruin a batch. Tell us about your ordeal and maybe we can figure something out

Reactions: bernardsmith

EJM3

Honey Master
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2013
The Boozevarian Village of Leavenworth WA
When you cold crash the air inside of your carboy shrinks & sucks the air from your refrigerator into it, if you have mold or other contaminants those will be sucked into the carboy. To prevent this from happening to my batches I usually fill the airlock with fresh vodka so as to kill any possible infection organisms. Also if you have a large amount of head space it will suck in large amounts of air, with oxygen it it, that will then oxidize your mead, so minimize head space before you cold crash, if possible.

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
I don't have the science to explain what exactly happened. All I can tell you is that my ferment was slowing but still active. It had reached the SG I desired so I cold crashed. I put it in the fridge for two weeks. My must had a spectacular taste before the cold crash but a week after taking it out of the fridge, there was a noticeable difference in taste that got progressively worst.

I did have an airlock on the carboy filled with vodka but I also had a moderate amount of head space. This was a two gallon batch. My next batch will be a 5 gallon so the next question is how do you even cold crash a 5 gallon batch? My fridge isn't that big.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I live in Colorado and do most of my fermenting during the winter. It's easy for me to put it on the front porch in the winter to cold crash it.

GntlKnigt1

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Mar 17, 2004
Chicago area formerly Netherlands
I cold crash on patio here, which isn't a problem for me, but for someone like JD Webb is southern California, it would be. Temp has to get well below the active fermentation temp for a week or more, and I stabilize the batch with 1/8 tsp (440 mg) potassium metabisulfite per gallon and ½ tsp (1 gram) potassium sorbate per gallon, especially if I am planning on backsweetening at some future time. Success with doing that depends, in some measure, on the yeast used, according to Oskaar. Off tastes after 2 weeks in frig could be the result of stressed yeast as much as possible contamination.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I don't have the science to explain what exactly happened. All I can tell you is that my ferment was slowing but still active. It had reached the SG I desired so I cold crashed. I put it in the fridge for two weeks. My must had a spectacular taste before the cold crash but a week after taking it out of the fridge, there was a noticeable difference in taste that got progressively worst....

What was the difference in taste and what do you mean when you say that it got progressively worse? How did you sample the mead to taste it (from the top of the container or from the bottom)?

Paladin906

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Aug 8, 2014
What was the difference in taste and what do you mean when you say that it got progressively worse? How did you sample the mead to taste it (from the top of the container or from the bottom)?

It developed a sour taste that was mild and progressively became pronounced. The samples were taken when I'd rack at first then I used a sterile baster at times to draw samples from the middle.

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Cold Crashing then chemical stabilisation
Alcohol stabilisation (fortify it with spirit) I'd still get it cold to make it hold better.
Pasteurisation - (I wouldn't be too happy with what I think might happen - cooking changes the taste of most everything)

These are about the only options out there.
Temperature poses a risk, you need sudden and sharp temperature changes, or the yeast will try to adapt and may throw strange flavours as they go to sleep or die.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns