• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

What do you use as a primary

Barrel Char Wood Products

Izzie1701

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 10, 2015
I used to make beer but quite making it and I'm slowly getting back into it (as the wife allows). My question is when I used to make beer my primary always had an air lock. Everyone said you had to have it or it would go bad. Now everyone here at my local home brew store is saying you can just use a primary bucket with a loose fitting lid. He has 50 buckets going this way in the shop. I currently have an apple pie cyser in the primary. Bucket with a loose fitting lid and 10lbs of honey on top just to keep it a little tight. What does everyone else use?

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I use a plastic primary. It is 7.5 gal. It has a loose lid that can not be snapped on. The CO2 builds up to enough pressure to lift the lid and that is how it vents.

I don't think k putting 10 lbs on you lid is a good idea. Be pretty hard for the CO2 to vent. I think this would create a toxic environment for your yeast and kill them off pretty early. Could be wrong though.

58limited

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
May 25, 2015
SE Texas
www.1958buickforum.net
I still use a 7.5 gal. primary and an airlock for beer and mead making. Some of my lids do not seal well (no airlock activity is seen during fermentation) and I've never had any problems. I rack into smaller buckets for secondary fermentation and for aging, I don't own a carboy. I've seen home winemakers use a 55 gal. garbage can with a loose lid for a primary without issues, the CO2 pressure keeps the O2 out, then they rack into carboys or barrels.

Crowing

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2014
Groton, Connecticut
7.5 bucket with a sealed lid and airlock. Maybe there's a small almost 0% chance some fruit flies or mold or ferrets could get in there, but I would rather make that chance 0 since buckets with a seal aren't that expensive.
Also gives ability to leave it in the primary forever since its under airlock.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns