• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Aerating Melomels With A Aquarium Aerator?

Barrel Char Wood Products

twlp93

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2015
Warren, Ohio
Alright tell me if this sounds crazy.. For the first three days of primary you're supposed to aerate the must, so what if I just bought some new tubing for my aquarium aerator, sanitized everything and put it in my must? I'm going to use a large bucket for primary this time around and I'll have a hole in the lid for the airlock. I can just drill another hole and feed the tubing of the aerator to the bottom of the bucket. Whatcha think? :confused:

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
It doesn't sound crazy at all. The brewing community already uses wort aerators. However, it is a bit more complex than just popping in an aquarium pump.
Here is a link to a thread I started myself. I'd read it before I make a decision http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/22918-Stainless-Steel-Air-Stone
I'd also like to add that I found out that it needs a VERY powerful aquarium pump to be able to blow through a wort aerator. Forgot the exact pressure, but I remember a trip to the pet shop revealed that such pumps cost over $100. This could probably be done for cheaper but it takes a bit of research

Last edited:

twlp93

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2015
Warren, Ohio
Thanks for the info, I'm only making 1 gallon batches as of right now. How much must were you trying to aerate that you decided at least 3psi was sufficient?

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Thanks for the info, I'm only making 1 gallon batches as of right now. How much must were you trying to aerate that you decided at least 3psi was sufficient?

If you're making one gallon batches, it's easiest to just shake the heck out of it and leave a dry airlock for the first 3 to 5 days. You will aerate when you de-gas (carefully) and depending on how fast your ferment goes, whenever you add nutrients.

BUT if you want to get the aerating system up and running, look into this http://www.amazon.com/HomeBrewStuff-Home-Stainless-Oxygenation-Diffusion/dp/B00GWNJSZW

I'm not sure how it works but it's not crazy expensive. I don't know about the pump though. NOW....as to your specific question about using an aquarium aerator... I imagine people have done it, but I wouldn't. It's made of I guess sand glued into a solid semi-permeable "stone" but I remember them letting go of some grains... and I don't know if it would be a "one shot" deal because it would be difficult to get clean and sterile after the initial use... but if you're willing to experiment... I'm sure everyone would love to follow the results! Me included!

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
IMHO, if shaking is sufficient, then a stone whilst being more efficient is not necessary.
I aerate with no stone. Just open tubes. It degasses, gets the yeast in suspension and aerates.
Seems to do the job for me...

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
How much must were you trying to aerate that you decided at least 3psi was sufficient?

The problem wasn't the amount of must. As soon as the aeration stone hit the must absolutely no bubbles came out. The stone was "clogged" and would need a thorough cleaning before any amount of pressure through a bicycle hand pump would allow air to flow. It is advertised that even the natural oils from your fingertips can clog such stainless steel stones. I suspect that I was sold a 0.5micron stone rather than a 2 micron stone.
Whatever the case, I am sceptical how long any such cheap aeration system would work. I suspect that eventually you'd have to buy a new stone and later on a new pump if it decreases pressure output with age. To avoid such finicky-ness on small batches (which is certainly not worth it) I concluded I'd need a much more expensive system. Either that, or some link in my setup was horribly wrong
Another dilemma I faced was that it was much easier to aerate the must by hand in small batches. Once musts became large enough for me to wish I had an aeration system, a single stone would not be enough (50+ litres). If I need 2 stones I'd need to double up on all equipment..

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Why wouldn't you just buy a degassing tool (airplane drill bit) and both aerate and degass at the same time? Way cheaper and it works amazingly well and takes no time at all!

kudapucat

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 2, 2010
Bundoora, Melbourne, Australia
Why wouldn't you just buy a degassing tool (airplane drill bit) and both aerate and degass at the same time? Way cheaper and it works amazingly well and takes no time at all!

Because:
A) I have a fishtank pump at home already
B) I was using a carboy
C) I priced one of the folding wing aerator drill bits and nearly fell off my chair.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I see. I think they are about 20 dollars over here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

twlp93

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 11, 2015
Warren, Ohio
It is advertised that even the natural oils from your fingertips can clog such stainless steel stones. I suspect that I was sold a 0.5micron stone rather than a 2 micron stone.
I was talking to my grandpa about this today and we ended up pitching the stone and making an octagon that fits snug in the bottom of my bucket out of some extra conduit laying around. We drilled something like 20- 25 1/8 inch holes around the top of it with one larger hole to run the tube in. I'll let you know how it works out. pictures to come.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I was talking to my grandpa about this today and we ended up pitching the stone and making an octagon that fits snug in the bottom of my bucket out of some extra conduit laying around. We drilled something like 20- 25 1/8 inch holes around the top of it with one larger hole to run the tube in. I'll let you know how it works out. pictures to come.

Sounds cool! I can't wait to hear how it works! Remember to try and filter the air going into the pump as much as possible. Using a bong type setup would probably work fine and be a fun DIY project as well.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Sometimes I feel DIY projects which cater to your exact setup could be better than something you can buy. I haven't given up on a stainless steel stone setup yet though. With some tweaking there has got to be a way to make it work, of course.
The advantage of having any sort of aeration setup would be that anybody could aerate the must for me if I am away from home for a while since I'd just tell them to flip a switch and turn it off after a couple of minutes

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
Sometimes I feel DIY projects which cater to your exact setup could be better than something you can buy. I haven't given up on a stainless steel stone setup yet though. With some tweaking there has got to be a way to make it work, of course.
The advantage of having any sort of aeration setup would be that anybody could aerate the must for me if I am away from home for a while since I'd just tell them to flip a switch and turn it off after a couple of minutes

Absolutely. Especially in a hobby like this with ancient "habits" there are often modern twists that can be incorporated only through DIY. I'm playing around with an old ultrasonic toothbrush as a degasser.

Sent from my TARDIS at the restaurant at the end of the universe while eating Phil.

JSMottin

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 21, 2015
I used to aerate compost tea rather effectively using a bubbler and aquarium pump. A must would be less likely to clog an air stone that that would. I've been tempted to do this also.

mannye

Administrator
Administrator
Oct 10, 2012
Miami Beach, FL
I used to aerate compost tea rather effectively using a bubbler and aquarium pump. A must would be less likely to clog an air stone that that would. I've been tempted to do this also.

Just don't use the same airstone for both! :p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns