• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Episode 16 - Zeb Johnston - Lions Head Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Tonight on GotMeadLive - Zeb Johnston of the soon-to-be-open Lions Head Mead.

Zeb is a beekeeper who started selling local honey at Yorktown Market Days, a Farmers Market in Yorktown Virginia. Some of his customers would buy honey to make mead with, and asked if he made any. That was his introduction to mead, and he started making it soon after. He started entering competitions and getting feedback, improved the mead recipes and techniques, and decided to make it available for others to enjoy.

On Ask Oskaar this week, Pete, JD and I talk about choosing yeast food (energizers, nutrient, etc.) and also discuss making cysers, now that it's fall. Good stuff, come on and have a listen.

And of course we'll have an update from JD for his 'It's the Great Pumpkin Mead' that he's fiddling with.

Join us! http://gotmead.com/blog/episode-16-zeb-johnston-lions-head-meadery.html/

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
The solution to energizers vs nutrients and what to use is use Lallemand products?
I was hoping for better advice for foreign listeners. Sometimes finding an online shop which sells to your country, is reputable, and also carries fermaid products is a challenge. I ended up using Fermax and if I were a new mazer I think I would have appreciated some more elaboration on top brands other than Fermaid. There are some (sometimes hard to find) threads on these forums which talk about Fermax and Tronozymol which have some good information

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
The problem is that we don't know what is sold in what countries outside the US. So it is difficult to discuss other brands we don't have here in the US, as we can't get access to them, and so don't know anything about them. I wish we could give you better international info on nutrients, but my suggestion would be to hook up with a brew club in your area and explore what is working and what isn't with them. Experienced meadmakers and brewers often have good info on what works best in their experience.

I'm not sure how it works in other countries, but here we have the branded products, such as Fermaid K and DAP, and then local brew shops will often have 'custom' mixes that are only found in their shop, and again, unless we've been to that shop, it is difficult to comment on them because we don't know that they're there, and have no info on what is in them (often the brewshop doesn't know, they get it from someone outside the shop).

Stasis

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 10, 2014
Malta
Actually we only have like 2 brew shops in the country and they sell only dap from italy (maybe with minimal other nutrients if you're lucky) because people only really brew grape wine. I was hoping at least the continent would be adressed, not country by country. Somehow importing from the U.S is very difficult and very expensive. I got a lb of fermax from the U.S at least after reading it could be used in place of fermaid

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns