• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First batch going, will it be good?

Barrel Char Wood Products

buckhuntr

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2013
Oklahoma
So two years after getting the honey (local) with which to create that elixir known as mead, I finally got it going 3 days ago. It almost turned into a comedy of errors before it even started, when the honey was discovered to be largely crystallized. :eek:
But hot water bath plus light zapping in the microwave got it liquid enough to ooze through the funnel into the six-gallon carboy.

Here's my "recipe":
approximately 12.5#, give or take, of Oklahoma honey (some wildflower, some alfalfa),
tap water to the six-gallon mark, stirring well (ish) when part way filled,
6 teaspoons Fermax, added to mixture then stirred in, and
one packet Lalvin EC-1118, re-hydrated in about 1/2 cup warm tap water, stirred to dissolve well & allowed to cool to room temp then dumped unceremoniously into the honey-water mixture.

Yeast was pitched around 4:00 PM, airlock set in place, then I remembered I had not taken an OG reading. Oopsie...
Sanitize the thief and hydrometer, uncork the carboy, take my reading (1.090), restopper the carboy. The bucket o' Tempranillo I started the day before seemed to go a lot smoother than this mead...

By 11:00 PM, nary a bubble had emerged into the airlock. I was prowling this forum looking for the myriad ways I could have erred. I was moaning to my wife about the $$ wasted to buy honey that probably would go to the goats.

But Sunday morn, whilst laying abed, afraid to get up to face a failed batch o' booze cut down in infancy, Wife called out "The airlock just burped!" :cool:
All was well! By that evening the carboy had a good 1/2" of foam, the airlock was working almost as fast as the Tempranillo.

I have gathered that my mead will be dry (which I prefer in a wine, so that's ok), but will it be good? I'm used to the Cellar Craft wine kits that are almost foolproof, but mead seems to be a temperamental beast, and I have not the patience to baby it along, much.

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
You need to read up on Staggered Nutrient Additions (SNA) here on the forum. SNA for me is additions of Fermaid K and DAP at the 1/3 (1.060 SG) and 2/3 (1.030 SG) sugar breaks.

Also, you need to aerate the mixture daily to get oxygen into it until it reaches 1.030 SG. No water is needed in the airlock until 1.030 is reached.

Failure to do these two things can lead to bad results.

buckhuntr

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 6, 2013
Oklahoma
A week into the ferment, airlock steadily bubbling, I took a SG reading this afternoon. 1.030, down from OG of 1.090. Does that sound right? My batch of Tempranillo went from 1.106 to 0.990 in just one day longer.

And my previous beer/wine ferments have ingrained in me that an airlock should have water in it. To do otherwise seemed unwise.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns