• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Made a pyment with Welches frozen concentrate

Barrel Char Wood Products

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
Im on on day 4, but im so excited. just wanted to share, It smells sooo good :p

1 gallon batch
3 cans of concentrate(concord? I think it was)
6 oz of frozen elderberries, made a tea with them
about 1.5lbs of honey to a gravity of 1.100
KV1116

the color is starting to fade a bit....

FF68F2F9-4EAD-4D34-B3EF-360604E9515F_zpsnoft2yqs.jpg

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
I dislike backsweetening too because it requires something to stop fermentation, and I hate adding anything extra to my meads/wines. But, that's about to change, since my wife won't drink anything dry or even semi-sweet, unless it's at the higher end of the sweet range of semi-drys. I actually like the finishing points of most yeasts I use, but gotta keep the woman happy, or this hobby will take a severe hit. :)

I just got in a plum wine kit I'm dying to try. Can't wait to get into wine making seriously, as opposed to beer and fruit-based mead making. Guess I've got some more reading to do.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
awesome! well I did get one pointer out of those links. Don't backsweeten. want to drink it right now!

The best way to backsweeten, or if something is too sweet out of fermentation is to have on hand a bone dry , or super sweet traditional mead to add to your unhappy batch. I totally agree. If you add honey to a finished Mead that does not taste like mead. It's not supposed to taste like honey. If you don't believe me send in a bottle of honey back sweetened mead to the Mazer cup and see what they tell you.

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
The best way to backsweeten, or if something is too sweet out of fermentation is to have on hand a bone dry , or super sweet traditional mead to add to your unhappy batch. I totally agree. If you add honey to a finished Mead that does not taste like mead. It's not supposed to taste like honey. If you don't believe me send in a bottle of honey back sweetened mead to the Mazer cup and see what they tell you.
Haha, good to know about the 'cup.

As for adding a super sweet traditional...wouldn't fermentation just start up again, since the mead you're trying to sweeten up will still have leftover, ready-to-go yeast in it that's currently dormant?

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
My first brew ever was a concentrate wine that turned out so awesome. Thank heavens because the next few were failures.

Nice touch with the elderberries. That should give a little more complexity to the frozen grape concentrate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
Haha, good to know about the 'cup.

As for adding a super sweet traditional...wouldn't fermentation just start up again, since the mead you're trying to sweeten up will still have leftover, ready-to-go yeast in it that's currently dormant?
Or were we assuming the usual method of stopping fermentation at that point with K-meta and K-sorbate?

McJeff

NewBee
Registered Member
May 17, 2013
Farmington, Maine
My first brew ever was a concentrate wine that turned out so awesome. Thank heavens because the next few were failures.

Nice touch with the elderberries. That should give a little more complexity to the frozen grape concentrate.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

that's what im hoping for ;)

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Yes indeed it would probably start up. That's why you would first need to stabilize it so that it wouldn't be able to start up again then add some sweet meat

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Wingnut

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 29, 2012
Snohomish, WA The Evergreen State
I dislike backsweetening too because it requires something to stop fermentation, and I hate adding anything extra to my meads/wines. But, that's about to change, since my wife won't drink anything dry or even semi-sweet, unless it's at the higher end of the sweet range of semi-drys. I actually like the finishing points of most yeasts I use, but gotta keep the woman happy, or this hobby will take a severe hit. :)

I just got in a plum wine kit I'm dying to try. Can't wait to get into wine making seriously, as opposed to beer and fruit-based mead making. Guess I've got some more reading to do.
That's funny. My wife is the same way.
She try my latest mead, wrinkles her nose and says " sweeter" .
So I go try again. Funny, it all seems to dissappear.....

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

EbonHawk

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2014
Dothan, AL, USA
That's funny. My wife is the same way.
She try my latest mead, wrinkles her nose and says " sweeter" .
So I go try again. Funny, it all seems to dissappear.....
Haha, I feel ya, man. I'll taste a batch of cyser and get ready to bottle it, and she's going "Sweeter, lot sweeter" and I'm thinking I'm already about to slip into a diabetic coma from how sweet it is now. This situation has forced me to consider using K-sorb and K-meta so I can backsweeten with more control. I used to just let everything ferment as dry as it could and just enjoy it au naturale. Not me, the mead. :p I detest adding any more chemicals to my precious brews and meads than I have to.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns