• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pondering my next batch

Barrel Char Wood Products

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
I am looking at starting another 23l (6gal) batch and I am pondering a couple different options.

Option 1
- A traditional with KV1116 and step feed that baby to alcohol toxicity. Using a TOSNA and some potassium bicarbonate for pH buffering.

Option 2
- A bastardized Braggot using the same honey and using a can of light malt extract.

I am curious about what to expect with the addition of malt extract. I would think some beer like undertones in the flavour but is there anything else I should expect? Is there an initial gravity I should stick to. I was thinking 1.11 to 1.12 range.
Any yeast suggestions? I currently have a stock of EC 1118 and KV 1116 but will have an order going in so I can get most any dry yeast.

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Are you considering any hop additions? What about a boil to properly prepare the wort portion prior to the honey addition?

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015
Actually I was looking to add a can of light pilsner extract. The type that is an add water and yeast type kit. It says it already has hops and hop extract included.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns