• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Is my fermentation aggressive enough?

Barrel Char Wood Products

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
2.25 gallons of spring water
4.5 lbs of the Bee Tree honey
5 g pack of Lalvin D-47
Staggering "LD Carlson's"
Yeast Nutrient (total 2 tsp) and Yeast Energizer (total 1 tsp) Divided into 1/4- 1st add-at yeast pitch 01/22/16, 2nd at 24hrs, 3rd (today) at 48hrs All with agitation

My S-Type airlock produces approx. 10 bubbles per minute and I was wondering if that seems adequate at this juncture in the process. I know that many variables determine this, but it seems like it's a little slow (but having no experience, thought I might put this on the table for discussion), understanding that the lower temp for the D47 and the lower PH will be a slower fermentation.

AND... is my PH TOO LOW? I've read that it will go lower toward the completion of fermentation.
(If it's too low, should I order calcium carbonate or is there another, household remedy)

3 gallon carboy with 2.25 gallons of must
OG 1.079
Current SG 1.070
Temp 65F
PH (approx.) 'slightly' over 3.0 Using PH strip for Bonsai water test strips, only has 2.0,3.0,4.0 etc results. so estimates between whole numbers are worthless (I know this is not very accurate and plan on purchasing a better PH test)

Thanks, TK

Last edited:

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Sounds like your fermentation is going just fine as far as vigor goes. As for the pH, I've heard many here talk about pH adjustments when you get to 3.2 or below, but I've not been one to monkey with pH at all. What I can tell you is that fermentation produces carbon dioxide, which is carbonic acid in solution. So if you degas your mead regularly this will help to raise the pH without having to add anything. Degassing can be done with a sanitized instrument stirring vigorously.

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
Sounds like your fermentation is going just fine as far as vigor goes. As for the pH, I've heard many here talk about pH adjustments when you get to 3.2 or below, but I've not been one to monkey with pH at all. What I can tell you is that fermentation produces carbon dioxide, which is carbonic acid in solution. So if you degas your mead regularly this will help to raise the pH without having to add anything. Degassing can be done with a sanitized instrument stirring vigorously.

Thanks Maz, I feel better now.
As far as de-gassing should that occur even after the initial 3-4 days of degassing/agitation, during nutrient/energizer stagger?

I also added 12oz of honey, mixed with a little spring water, today, to bring up my ABV and sweetness level a bit.
New current SG 1.075

TK

Last edited:

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
How much time transpired from when you pitched the yeast until you got the 1.070 SG reading?

Approximately 72hours

As a note of reference...first 24hrs (with D-47) my temp was 69-70F then corrected to 65F and has been steady there since.

Last edited:

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
Degas regularly. It keeps the yeast happy, and actually helps clearing go faster when you get to that point.

...now I remember, oxidation is not a (big) concern during fermentation because of the production of the CO2, it's after fermentation is complete that it becomes a problem!
I'm afraid to think of where I might end up without the help of all the awesome people on this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you,
TK

Last edited:

bmwr75

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 2, 2014
Northeast Mississippi
Approximately 72hours

As a note of reference...first 24hrs (with D-47) my temp was 69-70F then corrected to 65F and has been steady there since.

3 days is kind of a slow start. But, you didn't say anything about how you rehydrated your yeast. Did you just pitch it dry into the must? Since it is bubbling now, the ferment is going. I suggest just being patient.

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
3 days is kind of a slow start. But, you didn't say anything about how you rehydrated your yeast. Did you just pitch it dry into the must? Since it is bubbling now, the ferment is going. I suggest just being patient.

Perhaps I have been confused or confusing, sorry...

01/22 noonish OG 1.079 I pitched my yeast (re-hydrated per Lalvin, in 2oz water @ 105 degrees for 15 minutes)
01/23 AM -airlock bubbling approx 1-2 per/min
01/24 bubbling at approx. 10 per/min
01/25 " " " 10 per/min SG 1.070 (prior to adding 12oz additional honey, then SG 1.075)

So it was approx. 12- 24hrs to start of bubbling activity

Last edited:

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
That sounds nearly perfect to me. RDWHAHB!

Cool, I can't remember the last time I did something even remotely near perfect.
I do wish I knew what a lot of these acronyms mean. LOL
(radical day with hot and even hotter babes?)

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
LMAO2 It's been longer since I remember hot babes then perfection, guess it is time for a brew...Cheers!

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO
Amazing!!! Like if by magic... like a tiny Leprechaun did a big belly flop in me must, chasing the little yeasties round and round.
"Everyone knows of me leprechaun dance" he sang, as the must began to bubble and double as never before seen.

Hey, to all you other eggs, larva and newbees out there...PUT THE CAP THAT COMES WITH THE S-TYPE AIRLOCK, ON THE AIRLOCK!
As soon as I saw a post about some guy who left his cap off the airlock for 3 days asking for help, I knew!

I put the cap on and within minutes, my 10 gurgles per minute became 20-25. LOL!
It won't be so funny if any nasties somehow found their way into my babies house, although I doubt it (the liquid in the s-curve hopefully prevented that) but only time will tell.

Please don't ask me if I put a clear alcohol or sanitizer in there!

TK

P.S. I put distilled water in my airlock.

"Ahhh! lovely golden palaces, completely full of riches. I'll rip 'em off and rob 'em blind, those dirty sons of *****es"
Leprechaun 3 (V) 1995

Yes, I'm Scottish Irish, (Baillie Clan)

Last edited:

mrngbear

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 22, 2016
SW CO

Thank you!

I have continued the de-gas protocol daily. Today I received my more accurate PH test strips (not the best but, much better than I had) and It appears to be approximately between 3.4-3.5 range.
What a relief, I've been sweating a bit on this one!

TK

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns