• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Airlock off

Barrel Char Wood Products

will.byers

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 7, 2016
So, unknown to me my airlock got knocked off and the carboy sat for about 12 to 15 hours with the top being open. The mead is in the secondary and all the fermentation was already finished so I was just giving it a little more time to go clear and then will bottle it. Question; will this exposure to the air from the airlock being off, have an adverse affect on the mead such as alcohol evaporating out or an off taste?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Will.

jwaldo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2016
Northern Virginia
There was probably a good enough layer of heavy CO2 on the surface, along with a little out-gassing, to protect your mead. Bigger problem is if 'stuff' falls into the opening, or bugs decide to crawl/fly in (though they usually succumb to lack of O2 and the alcohol).

Thanks,
Jim.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns