• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bad smell sour taste

Barrel Char Wood Products

ICEMANarmy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2016
Made a lemon mead and it smells sour and taste pretty sour. It is also dry. I need help on what to use to fix this mead?

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Much more details needed to diagnose the problem. If you can walk us through your ingredients, your process, and your observations through the whole ferment, I'm sure we can assist.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
Made a lemon mead and it smells sour and taste pretty sour. It is also dry. I need help on what to use to fix this mead?

Has it gone clear yet? Suspended yeast (especially late in a ferment) can make mead taste pretty bad, but it often improves dramatically after a few rackings. My first batch was kind of like that. When I tasted it right out of secondary, I thought I'd ruined it but a few days later it had gone clear and was suddenly drinkable.

ICEMANarmy

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 23, 2016
Well I juiced 12 lemons. One pack of yeast (red star), and 1/2 tsp of pectin enzyme. I added all the ingredients together and mixed them.

Fermentation took about a week. I noticed during fermentation that I had alot of floating whitish clumps. They did eventually settle after I racked it once. I have racked it twice and it is clearing up.

pwizard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2015
Birmingham, AL
I imagine 12 lemons worth of juice would make this mead very sour, plus that much acid up front would make PH hard to manage. What kind of red star yeast?

Mazer828

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 9, 2015
Inland Empire
Well I juiced 12 lemons. One pack of yeast (red star), and 1/2 tsp of pectin enzyme. I added all the ingredients together and mixed them.

Fermentation took about a week. I noticed during fermentation that I had alot of floating whitish clumps. They did eventually settle after I racked it once. I have racked it twice and it is clearing up.
So you took the juice of 12 lemons, and tossed in a pack of yeast and some pectic enzyme? No. I'm sure there was more to it. I'm being a little smart here, but in good humor I hope.

The best advice I can give you at the moment is to really dig deep and provide every little detail you can. I could ask you a litany of questions, but I'll leave it up to you. The amount of insight you may receive from the many mead mentors on this site is directly related to how much detail you can provide. Anything less will just be frustration and guessing for everyone.

Farmboyc

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 2, 2015

How much honey? What type of honey?
Volume of your must? Strain of yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns